Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Default d3000 or d60

hello everyone,
I'm new to here but am really needing advice on choosing either the nikon d3000 or the d60, it will be used for fast movement, example: mountain biking, or sports, i'v been reading allot of reviews on both of them and they both seem to be good accept the d3000 has 11 focusing points and the d60 has 3, i am a beginner or new to the dslr cameras and coming up from a kodak point and shoot, it will be my first slr and would really appreciate for some help as i'm really no knowing what the major differences are, or maybe i won't even notice them. the lense i will be using is the kit lense that comes with it the 18-55,

hope i can get some help

thanks,

Elio
rival323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:35 PM   #2

I just bought a d3000 as my first dslr. Now I really like it and I'm using it to learn on but I have a feeling as I get better I might want to upgrade to a faster camera. I find it very slow, however turning off so e features like active d lighting speeds it up , I stil find it rather slow. Next year I will probably upgrade to a d40 or 60. I hear nothing but great things about that body. For me the $599 price sold me, I actually found it for about $40 cheaper but if I would have done my nikon homework I could have possibly bought the d40 with an extra lens for the same price. I do love the 3000 the size, how it feels in my hands and all that. If you can find a place that you can actually test each camera out do it, if you can't , based on my d3000 usage go with the 60 but that's also just me and I'm am a 100% newb at this.
Tulasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:38 PM   #3

The D3000 has a better AF system than the D60, which was not particularly good for sports/action/wildlife photography. But how much better the AF system is has yet to be seen. And as for the 18-55 kit lens, depending on what types of sports you'll be shooting, it's not likely to serve you well. You'd probably be better served by a 55-200 or 70-300 of some kind, and Canon's entry level dSLRs have a better track record for shooting sports.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:37 PM   #4

I saw the D3000 in Sams today for $519. I really thought about getting it, although I just bought the Kodak Z980. I think I may take the Kodak back and get it. A friend of mine came over yesterday with his new D90 and I wanted to throw that Kodak up against the wall. I cant afford the D90, but I can add $200 for the D3000 even though it doesnt do video.
MrMayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:05 AM   #5

It sounds like you've got your heart set on a D3000. It's better than the D60 you were originally asking about, and it's also better than the Kodak Z980 you've got now. But I reiterate than the 18-55 kit lens won't be long enough for much of what you say you wnat to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote