Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:09 PM   #1

Default Focusing with D300 85mm f 1.8

Just bought the Quickpro DVD on the D300 and was disappointed a little-- it didn't really help with focusing, the settings, and the 51 pt focusing system and settings. I will try the dot focal on the beam portion of the event and 40' behind my daughter will be in focus at times. Sometimes I get lucky, but I'm looking for more consistency. Give myself a little break I have had the D300 only a week or so. Thanks.
TMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:15 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It could be that my brain is not working at 1.15am but what is it you need here, is there a problem, what are you planning/trying to shoot??
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:58 PM   #3

Default focusing

Hey its Mark my hero-

I am the guy that finally got the D300 + 85mm f 1.8 like you said...and no your brain is fine I should give it a rest cause I just got back from the gymnastics meet and a gymnist party and it too is 1 something...I'm confused on the focusing. I put it on the auto focusing and the dot focusing with the setting on the front of the camera on "C" for movement (gymnastics). I get the green light inside, but still get the focusing way behind the gymnist at times. I don't get any of the focal dots appearing in the view finder just the green light. I'll have to put some pics up Sunday if I get a chance. I'm too tired to carry on... Thanks, Terry
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:51 AM   #4

Can you post some examples of what you're experiencing?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:23 AM   #5
Administrator

It sounds like the switch position for AF Area is set to Wide (check the middle switch to the right of your LCD, just under the multi-directional control pad). When set to wide Area Focus, the camera (versus you) decides what to focus on (and that may not always be what you want).

Change the AF Area switch to the middle position (Dynamic Area). Then, you can select the desired AF point using the multi-directional pad.. Once AF is locked using the selected AF point when you half press the shutter button, the camera will then use all AF points to track the subject you focused on when in Continuous AF mode with Dynamic Area focus selected.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6

Default focusing (middle button)

Next to view finder (AE-L) that too should be in the middle position also?

I believe I have it now. Its just that at this point I just have the 85mm f 1.8 and at a distance I'm understanding I want to press the button 1/2 way down and keep it there till I shoot the pic. When I take another shot do the same. A few times I would have the shot and maybe i didn't have the focal pt in focus (daughter on beam) and the background was clear, but she wasn't all the way. That could have been from the AF area in the top or bottom setting I guess. As you know the lighting in the gyms probably plays with the cameras mind (focus?).

Just got done experimenting and I see it now. I get the object on the red square- it focuses then i move the camera into that area and I see the dots searching for the area i'm focusing. Took the pic and its crystal. THANK you.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMel View Post
Next to view finder (AE-L) that too should be in the middle position also?
That switch is designed to control metering, which is how your camera decides how to expose a scene and allows you to select between Spot, Center Weighted and Matrix (i.e., Multi-Segment). It looks like it default to Matrix using the middle position (the top position is Center Weighted).

You'd probably find that Center Weighted is more predictable (so, that it would be easier to determine how much Exposure Compensation to apply if you want a brighter or darker exposure, once you have some experience with the camera). But, many users prefer the default Matrix (i.e,. Multi-Segment) option, that takes things like focus point and more into consideration.

For indoor sports, you may find that it's easier to use Manual Exposure anyway (since lighting is usually fairly constant), setting ISO speed, aperture and shutter speed to where you are seeing the best exposure overall. That way, you don't have to worry about metering causing a lot of difference between exposures due to clothing colors, lights in the frame and more.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote