Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:29 PM   #1

Default New D5000 - Unhappy results so far

I have a new D5000. Just got it today. Threw in my extra EN-EL9 battery and started shooting. Not happy so far. All the pictures have a blue tint. It's awful. I have tried different modes but no good. I haven't shot in daylight yet but the flash pics are awful. Not sure what it going on.

I have a D40 that takes great pics using the flash. I am using the lenses I had with my D40. The camera's serial number comes back as NOT needing the service.

Here are some samples. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

ironalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:53 PM   #2

Have you tried different white balance settings?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:19 PM   #3

The pics were with the WB set at Auto. I just tried some in "Flash" and they seem better. Never really had this issue with my D40. I am going to give the camera a try during the day and see. Thanks for the reply.
ironalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:03 PM   #4

Hi,
first of all I'm no Guru but I have both these cameras and I think you are not comparing like for like. First of all the D40 was an entry level DSLR that was set up to allow straight from the camera Picbridge type shooting, whereas IMHO the D5000 is designed to give you better results but you have to work at it a bit more. For example the D40 inboard flash would blow highlights / faces from time to time. The D5000 on the other hand tends like most DSLRs to underexpose a tad. So either take your flash pics by using Program or Manual mode and up the ISO to 400 or use something like Photoshop Elements, go into levels, move the right hand slider in a bit. You could dial in a bit more exposure , just experiment to get what you want, you paid good money for these features.
I tried several ways of getting good nicely exposed and rounded flash shots, generally better than the D40. I think Auto flash tends to use ambient light rather like fill in. By the way I use the SB400 flash unit and bounce it, it's not particularly powerful but has more punch than the built in and is nice and lightweight ( which is why I bought it) also it will bounce 45/ 90 degree only. I think you will like the levels route the best.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:16 AM   #5

I forgot to mention that if you have Auto ISO selected in your Menu you will find that it will go for an ambient light+flash option in P A S M modes also.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:40 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

For an entry level camera, it should not be that complicated. I agree that the image quality of the pictures you have posted look very poor. I get much better IQ with my $200 point & shoot. I'd consider exchanging the unit for a replacement.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:55 PM   #7

Something else you can do is use Manual set 1/200th shutter speed F5.6 boost iso to 400.
I've found that gives a good result.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:24 PM   #8

A guy on Amazon said he had some results he was not happy with, but when he changed the white balanced, it corrected the problem. The auto mode he stated was not the best option many times. Not sure if it's true, but something to check out.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:27 AM   #9

I have many Nikon cameras and think D5000 gives me the best pictures. If you have problems with D5000 they must be because of lenses or yourself not D5000. D5000 is not D40. To use all it's strength you need some learning curve. I think D5000 will give you better pictures than from D300s. Some even think D5000 give better photos than D3s.
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...n%20D3s&st=cse
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
A guy on Amazon said he had some results he was not happy with, but when he changed the white balanced, it corrected the problem. The auto mode he stated was not the best option many times. Not sure if it's true, but something to check out.
If your using AUTO mode on a DSLR, your wasting the camera... may as well go back to using point & shoot cameras.
I never use AUTO mode on any DSLR's.
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote