Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1

Default D80 help!!!!

First I must say "Thank You", you guys helped me out prior to my purchase of my D80. However, after this past weekend, I was ready to throw it as far as I could.
Last year I had my sister-in-laws canon rebel with a 70-300mm lens and shot some really good pics in doors with light that was iffy at best. I was shooting at my daughters cheerleading compitetion, well this year with the D80 and a 70-300mm nikor lens, the pics look like CRAP!! I tried all kinds of settings (non of the presets, just used all the manual setting) and couldn't dial it in to save my life. I got alot of still action shoots with the flyers (the girls going thru the air) with the canon, but couldn't get squat with the nikon. Now, I must say that my prized baby took about a 4 foot fall from my wifes stupid cat (he knocked it off a table) and it landed on the lens. I tried it a few times around the house and it seemed to work ok with no problems. Asided from that, all the pics outside and in lower natrual light at the football fields have been fine, but crap at the arena! The sad part is, her team got first place and I couldn't get any pics worth look at.
I'm not asking for anyone to set my camera at the perfect setting, just steer me in the correct direction. Thanks for ANY and all help with my little problem.

Weedy
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2

Were you able to get good images from the D80 with the 70-300 before the cat incident?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:45 PM   #3

I'm sure the fall didn't help, and it could have caused some issues. Like TC, I'm curious if you've ever had any luck in the same type of situation with that lens. The 70-300 (whether you're talking about the newer VR lens or the older one) is not a great lens for indoor action shots, especially at full zoom. An f5.6 lens just isn't going to get very many good action shots, even at the highest iso's (3200 on the D80) because shutter speeds will just not be fast enough indoors in low light.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:13 PM   #4

For the distance I was shooting (maybe 50 yards at best) I have had some really good shots outside durning the day in bright light. When I was using my sister-in-laws canon I got dsome really great shots. I think her lense is a tamron vr 70-300 (I think), I have the same lense but nikon version and I just couldn't get anything.
I haven't shot before the DANG cat incident indoors, so it's kinda hard to say. I really don't want to send the camera and lense to nikon, but I think I might just to be safe and see if they find anything.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:16 PM   #5

Between the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR, the Canon is better, but not by much. And that, all by itself wouldn't account for what you're describing. And, btw, Tamron doesn't make a 70-300 VR (or VC, which would be more appropriate). They do make a 70-300 Di LD which is quite good for its price, but not as good as yours or your sister-in-laws.

Can you post one of the images you camtured that you're not satisfied with?

Last edited by TCav; Oct 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Can you post one of the images you camtured that you're not satisfied with?

Yes, but it will take me a day or two to get them up. Thanks again!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:37 AM   #7

Ok, had some major computer problems, but I think I finally have that taken care of. I know some of the photos are extemely grainy and there not that great. However, I am just trying to get the focus down without the blur! The first three pics were taken a year ago under the same lights. The rest are taken a few weeks ago and I just can't seem toge the DANG focus in. Tooooooo much blur and I have their state compitetion next week to try and figure out what to do. First and formost, Thank You all to any and all help that you may suggest and I also look forward to your help.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...s-house140.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...s-house143.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...s-house147.jpg

The newest ones, also, the first were taken with a Canon Rebel, the rest were taken with a Nikon D80.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/DSC_0266.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/DSC_0336.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/DSC_0340.jpg

Almost forgot, the first three were free hand and the last ones were mounted on a tripod if that helps any.

Thanks again
Weedy
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:38 AM   #8

I'm sorry, don't know how to shrink them down to a comfortable size.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:52 AM   #9
Administrator

I removed the img tags and just left links to the images (as those are far too large for embedding in a forum post here).

Your shutter speeds are too slow. That has nothing to do with the fall your lens took. Those D80 shots were taken at around 1/50 second. You're going to get blurry photos using shutter speeds that slow. Your ISO speed was ISO 500. Increase it. Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture. Note that the XT images were taken using ISO 1600.

But, even at ISO 3200 (the highest ISO speed your camera supports), you're probably going to get some motion blur using a lens that dim (down to f/5.6 if you zoom in much) in that lighting. ISO 3200 will be quite noisy (grainy) with your D80, too. So, I'd suggest getting a brighter lens for shooting moving subjects in that type of lighting. IOW, get a zoom lens that can maintain f/2.8 throughout the focal range (note that f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as f/5.6, which is the widest available aperture you'll have when zoomed in much with your existing lens). For example, a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8.

In the interim, increase your ISO speed (to at least ISO 1600, which is the way the shots were taken using the XT).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:24 AM   #10

Yeah. That. What he said.