Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:07 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5000 with SB 600 Flash question

My question is can anyone give some advise on using the SB 600 flash with the 5000. Is there any control adjustment I need to make on the flash or the camera, or will the camera recognize the flash and automatically adjust to work with it? I am sure to some extent it does, but I am interested in knowing what I would control adjustments to both I should look into. Yes I am aware depending on your circumstances you will change the flash control as well.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Your camera and flash will recognize each other. There is a certain amount of control that the flash imposes on the camera. I only use the SB-400 with my D40, and that is all automated, very nice. The best thing to do is just take a bunch of test shots to see what works and what doesn't work for you. You will learn a lot.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
My question is can anyone give some advise on using the SB 600 flash with the 5000. Is there any control adjustment I need to make on the flash or the camera, or will the camera recognize the flash and automatically adjust to work with it? I am sure to some extent it does, but I am interested in knowing what I would control adjustments to both I should look into. Yes I am aware depending on your circumstances you will change the flash control as well.

The camera will automatically recognize the flash. However, there are several modes that are available that can be selected through the flashes menu. For typical use, make sure you are in TTL mode. You can always dial in exposure compensation on the flash to reduce or increase output. Best bet is to read the manual and experiment with the different modes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote