Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Right angle viewfinder

I saw someone using one of these today. I had never seen one before. Do many of you use them and are they an asset to someone who shoots images as a hobby? Thanks.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:47 AM   #2

I've used one in the past and it has allowed me to get shots I would not have gotten otherwise. These were shots I took at the US D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA, using a rightangle viewer.

The first is a shot I took of the depiction of hte amphibious landings. I took it by placing my camera on the last step down into the water. The second is a shot of the back of the statue of Gen. Eisenhower, looking up at the Overlord plan in a mosaic in the ceiling of the pavilion. I could not have captured these and other shots without the right-angle viewer.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:36 AM   #3

Shari-

I believe a right angle viewer is really all a matter of personal preference. If it fits you workflow and shooting style, then it is a plus. I have an older friend who uses one. However, he uses it to assist his declining eyesight.

As Tcav pointed out, a 90 degree viewer is indeed a big assist, when shooting stright upwards.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:20 AM   #4

Thank you both. It is sooo easy to get caught up in new equipment and upgrades. I am probably better off spending my time learning and practicing with what I have now. I was also talking to a photographer using a lens baby the other day and again not something I would be ready for. At lease when I am out shooting I can start thinking if these type of things would help me in the future. Thanks again.
Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:12 AM   #5

I use one with my Pentax SLR many years back. It help for macro shooting insect close to ground. I try to get one for my D200 but the price is too high for what it can do. So I bought Nikon D5000 with Vari-angle LCD. It works far better than right angle viewfinder. I prefer D5000 with Vari-angle than D300s or D3s with right angle viewfinder. I do not know how people can shoot good video with DSLR with right angle viewfinder.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote