Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Another new D5000 owner

First off, I was surprised to find out B&H, Ritz and several other stores were sold out of the D5000 with the 18-55, and 55-200 lens package. I was told it was going to take 2 weeks or so before they fill their orders. They have been selling them faster than they can get them out. Thankfully I was able to find my camera at Best Buy and they matched the price of Ritz camera. So that saved me over $100. Thank you Best Buy.

I also checked my serial number and confirmed mine was not on the recall list.

Then I started taking photos with it after reviewing the menu setup. Then I took a lot more. Oh my goodness, I just love this camera. The photos are amazing and I love the feel of the camera. True I am comparing it to the Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I have had for many years. Going back to an SLR reminded me a little of my old Canon Elan film camera....but it's better. This is a great camera, and I know I will have years of enjoyment with it. Thank you Nikon.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:40 AM   #2

Congratulations! Good luck with it.

And post some photos when you get a chance.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:42 AM   #3

That is great news, Blueberry-

Post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator

congratulations, nice camera!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:28 AM   #5

Default Observations made on the D5000

I am starting to understand how to use the camera now. Ken Rockwell mention how much faster the menu work flow is on the Nikon over the Canon. Now I know what he was talking about. With a push one button, all the controls you may want to change can be done with one button. It displays small icons of all the functions and you can just use the scroll button to move the the ISA, focus area, etc. This means you don't have to go into deep menus to make these changes.

There are also some very interesting dummy modes too. The portrait mode of course focus is on the person while it gently fades the back ground. I know you can do the same thing in Apperture mode. But when I saw a pet portrait mode, I kinda scratched my head thinking why? Then I found this mode is similar to portrait mode, but it turns off the flash and assistant light so it won't distract the dog or cat before the photo is taken. I believe it also increases the ISA so you can use a faster shutter speed.

There is also one thing that I was slightly disapointed in. I compared the viewfinder to my old Canon Elan SLR. This is when I realized how much smaller the viewfinder is on the D5000. To compenstate I found by putting my eye a little more into the viewfinder, it helped bring the view of my subject a little closer. There is actually a square view of your subject in the viewfinder, with a black screen on the outside of the square. On my other camera, there is no black arround the square, just the view of my subject. I was told the D90 does not have this and it's viewfinder it larger. This is the one disapointement I found, though I am sure I will get used to the viewfinder. This is one shortcut I wish Nikon did not take. I can deal wtih not having a menu on top of the camera, but the smaller viewfinder was a little disapointing.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:39 AM   #6

You should remember that a large portion of the reduced image size in the viewfinder is because APS-C dSLRs have a narrower angle of view than a 35mm film SLR.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:07 AM   #7

I am really enjoying my D5000. Here is a photo I took on a trail not far from my house.
Attached Images

Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:19 AM   #8

Ok. you can post images that are a little bit bigger than that.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Ok. you can post images that are a little bit bigger than that.
As I newbie, I am having difficulty posting photos. They are too large when I make them small, so I had to make them small twice to get it on here. I don't know how to make it the right size from within my software.
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
As I newbie, I am having difficulty posting photos. They are too large when I make them small, so I had to make them small twice to get it on here. I don't know how to make it the right size from within my software.
There are two limits. The first is that the image file can't be any larger than 253.9 KB. The second is that is that it can't be any larger than 1024x1024. These are absolute limits.

The administrators here would also like images to not be so large that others would have to scroll back and forth, up and down to see the entire image. They usually state that 640x480 is a good size, but you can usually get away with 800x600.

There are lots of ways to reduce the size of an image in any image editting application. In fact, Windows and MacOS come with programs just for displaying images, and they can reduced the size of an image as well. And by selecting Save As... when you're done, you don't lose the original, full size image.

Which image editting application are you using?