Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:03 PM   #1

Default Macrophotography with Nikon Digital SLR's

Hi folks, I have several macro systems I use with my Nikon film SLR's, PB-6 Bellows and the massive Nikon Multiphot. From what I've seen from the D100 info it appears that the metering system won't work with this type of application. Am I mistaken or will the D1X or Fuji S2 work in this mode? I need more magnification than what the 60mm Macro Nikkor can manage on its own. Thanks, Charley
Deardorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2002, 4:15 AM   #2

The MultiPhot is AI or AIS isn't it? If so, you should have no trouble at all with a D1x/h in aperture priority or manual. With the D100 you'd have to meter using the histogram/test shot method as there is no real way to use an external light meter effectively.

Have you considered the 200 Micro and a tube-set? I know the MultiPhot set will get you to ~40x, but in the field you'll be restricted to the two more conservative lenses anyway...
RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2002, 2:37 PM   #3

Thanks Ron, The Multiphot has just the simplest of Nikon mounts, much like the PB-6 Bellows, not AI or AIS. I use this setup in my lab, often in conjunction with my Zeiss Pol microscope. For field work I use the PB-6 bellows. I know the Multiphot is abit dated, but it does have great stability and flexibility as long as you don't have to move it...
Regards, Charley
Deardorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2002, 4:07 PM   #4

Your best bet then is to use seat-of-the-pants reckoning for the first exposure, and check your histogram, regardless of which D-series digital body you use. Make adjustments based on the actual exposure shown on the histogram.
RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote