Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:07 PM   #1

Default Shooting in B/W "mode"

I have a D300. Decided to shoot in B/W. So I selected "monochrome" in the Picture Control menu. Took some shots. Looked on the LCD. They were indeed b/w. But when I uploaded the photos to iPhoto the b/w images were in color. What gives??
agc828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:29 PM   #2

Did you shoot in RAW?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:29 PM   #3

Yes. I only shoot in RAW. Odd that I should see the shots I took in b/w on my LCD as b/w but not when imported to iPhoto. Don't know why.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:38 PM   #4

The filter is likely applied during JPEG conversion. To display on LCD a conversion is done. I think you'll need to shoot JPEG to be able to use the filter
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:54 PM   #5

RAW is the image data that was collected by the image sensor. All RAW files contain a JPEG image that is used for preview. That JPEG has all the in-camera processing applied to it that isn't part of the RAW. When you display the image on the camera's LCD, you're looking at the JPEG image which is B&W, not the RAW image. When you transfer the file to your Mac, iPhoto is displaying the RAW file which is in color.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

it's not a bad way to shoot if you do plan to convert to B&W as it gives you a little preview of what it will look like in mono. but then keeps the full color information so that you can use a more powerful b&w conversion in post-process.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:41 PM   #7

Ok thanks guys. Guess I'll stick to shooting in color (RAW). Should I want a b/w image I'll just apply a filter in iPhoto or Lightroom.

But I guess it can be good to have an idea of what a b/w would look like without having to go to the computer. While you're out in the field or where ever you are when taking the shot. So we have a few options.

Later all.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:00 PM   #8

And doing B&W in post processing is better anyway. There are lots of ways to convert a color image to B&W, but your camera only knows how to do one of them. Doing it in ost processing means you can pick and choose, and if you don't like it, you can undo.

See Case Study: Converting a Colour Photo to B&W
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:40 PM   #9

You could always shoot in RAW+JPEG to have a copy of the image in B&W. I do agree with the others, I'd rather convert during processing. You can always convert from color to B&W...you can't convert B&W to color.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:54 PM   #10

Yes, for shooting B&W I always can get better results doing the conversion myself from the RAW file than using the in-camera processing on the jpeg.
RobertDavis is offline   Reply With Quote