Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
I have both the D90 and D5000.
OK, I'll ask again...

Since you have both, the D90 & D5000... what do you think of them? I'm toying with getting a D90 to go with my two D5000's.
Like, which one do you find yourself using the most and why?
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:13 PM   #52

Default My spin on it

Jack,

I apologize if it appears that I have not been willing to answer your question. I simply have not been on this site very much as I have in the past.

I like the D5000 due to its articulating screen. Makes for interesting shots at high or low angles. It is light and easy to work with for me. The D90 makes it possible for me to use seven other lenses I would otherwise have to shoot manually. I acquired these prior to my D40 which has the 18-200mm VR on it almost permanently along with the SB 400. All these lenses are 2.8 or faster. I find that I don't prefer one over the other. They both do very well in low light that the D40 lacks and even more so the D200's I have. It boils down to what lens I will be shooting with.

I would stick with what you have and pass on the D90. Your two lenses are AF-S and HSM respecitively and it works well with what you have. You won't see a great improvement or much difference between the two in my opinion unless you have lenses that are not AF-S.

If it weren't for the 1/500th of a sec flash sync of the D40 I would not have it. If the D5000 had a motor drive I would stick with it over any other camera.

D5000 gets the nod between the two. It is the one that will go with me when I go back home to Hawai'i this coming September.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Jack,

I apologize if it appears that I have not been willing to answer your question. I simply have not been on this site very much as I have in the past.

I like the D5000 due to its articulating screen. Makes for interesting shots at high or low angles. It is light and easy to work with for me. The D90 makes it possible for me to use seven other lenses I would otherwise have to shoot manually. I acquired these prior to my D40 which has the 18-200mm VR on it almost permanently along with the SB 400. All these lenses are 2.8 or faster. I find that I don't prefer one over the other. They both do very well in low light that the D40 lacks and even more so the D200's I have. It boils down to what lens I will be shooting with.

I would stick with what you have and pass on the D90. Your two lenses are AF-S and HSM respecitively and it works well with what you have. You won't see a great improvement or much difference between the two in my opinion unless you have lenses that are not AF-S.

If it weren't for the 1/500th of a sec flash sync of the D40 I would not have it. If the D5000 had a motor drive I would stick with it over any other camera.

D5000 gets the nod between the two. It is the one that will go with me when I go back home to Hawai'i this coming September.
Thank you very much for your response. It does help.
I really do like the D5000. I was thinking maybe it would be nice to have the brighter LCD that the D90 does as a 3rd camera? I really do get a lot of use with that swiveling LCD though and why I bought the D5000 in the first place. It seems to have most of the D90's features.

You can get the (aftermarket) battery grip for the D5000 as I have. Not only will it hold two batteries, I've found that if you put the D5000 on a tripod, the swiveling LCD won't open past half way. With the battery grip on, you get full use of the LCD as it now clears the tripod. Plus it gives a better grip or "feel" when holding the camera, especially shooting vertical shot.
Samsung S7 Edge
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:53 AM   #54

I was looking at a lot of cameras before I decided to buy the D90, the thing that sold me was the controls and feel of the camera.

Most of the DSLRs I was looking at did great when it came to Image Quality. I even looked at some of the Canons that offered the 1080P video, but decided that I mostly needed it for photography purposes and the Nikons excel in low light.

I did not know what route I was gonna take with my photography at that point, but I wanted the ability to use a greater range of lenses, which the D90 allows me to. I am the kind of person that researches my buys for months before committing to one, so of course I even looked at cameras like the D300s and the 7D that were brand new, but would be just outside of my budget, besides, I had already decided I wanted to do some experimenting with Ultra Wide Angle lenses and I had decided on the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6(which I love).

As I stated before, the feel of the camera is what got me. I went down to the local Best Buy and just held the different cameras, mostly the D40, D5000, and D90. Weight is not something that bothers me, I have medium to large hands and big fingers and I did not like the feeling of my fingers being cramped up with the D40. So it was between the D90 and D5000. The D90 is just so much easier to use if you like to use a camera in full manual mode, and it was a factor I looked at since I always push myself to be as learned as possible with whatever hobby I take part in. If I was looking for something that I would, like many people, use occasionally for vacations or family photos and in mostly auto modes, then I may have bought the D5000 since it is the greater value for the money and as the original poster commented would be more than what I needed with maybe 1-2 lenses.
h2ocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ocrazy View Post
I was looking at a lot of cameras before I decided to buy the D90, the thing that sold me was the controls and feel of the camera.

Most of the DSLRs I was looking at did great when it came to Image Quality. I even looked at some of the Canons that offered the 1080P video, but decided that I mostly needed it for photography purposes and the Nikons excel in low light.

I did not know what route I was gonna take with my photography at that point, but I wanted the ability to use a greater range of lenses, which the D90 allows me to. I am the kind of person that researches my buys for months before committing to one, so of course I even looked at cameras like the D300s and the 7D that were brand new, but would be just outside of my budget, besides, I had already decided I wanted to do some experimenting with Ultra Wide Angle lenses and I had decided on the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6(which I love).

As I stated before, the feel of the camera is what got me. I went down to the local Best Buy and just held the different cameras, mostly the D40, D5000, and D90. Weight is not something that bothers me, I have medium to large hands and big fingers and I did not like the feeling of my fingers being cramped up with the D40. So it was between the D90 and D5000. The D90 is just so much easier to use if you like to use a camera in full manual mode, and it was a factor I looked at since I always push myself to be as learned as possible with whatever hobby I take part in. If I was looking for something that I would, like many people, use occasionally for vacations or family photos and in mostly auto modes, then I may have bought the D5000 since it is the greater value for the money and as the original poster commented would be more than what I needed with maybe 1-2 lenses.
Thanks for the input and welcome to the forum.

I may yet get the D90 to go with my two D5000's.
Samsung S7 Edge
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:38 PM   #56

Hi there, Jack-

I own the D-90, but I really don't use it very much because it is so darned big. The D-5000 is certainly the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, Jack-

I own the D-90, but I really don't use it very much because it is so darned big. The D-5000 is certainly the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
Depending on your needs. I don't think you can empirically say the D5k is the better choice in all situations. Size wise, the D90 is not that much bigger than the D5k (about 3.5 ounces).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:02 PM   #58

Well, I guess it is my personal perception. It surely does seem that way sometimes. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I appreciate the "little push," and I am back to using and enjoying the D-90. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Thanks for the input and welcome to the forum.

I may yet get the D90 to go with my two D5000's.
Thanks for the welcome Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Well, I guess it is my personal perception. It surely does seem that way sometimes. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I appreciate the "little push," and I am back to using and enjoying the D-90. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
I'm glad you are enjoying your D90 again. I have even tried using the D60 a friend of mine has, and I must admit felt lost not having the front sub-command dial to change the aperture and the iso sensitivity button. Going from the very nicely put buttons on the D90 to having to use the menu button and scrolling through other menus just set those settings on the D60(which the D5000 also lacks) was a pain. The plus I will re-iterate is that with my Compulsive Lens Buying it makes it easy for me to buy all kinds of auto focus lenses to play with, not just those with internal motors.
h2ocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:46 PM   #60

I have the same pain when i borrow my moms D60 for bigger shoots
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote