Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:40 PM   #71

Decisions, decisions. I could be in the middle of this discussion, add now the new D3100. More pixels, but no tilt screen. 1080 HD video W/auto focus (although it's slow). Guess I'll wait a few months and hope for more hands on reviews from owners.
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:40 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I agree. I still have and use a D300 as my main camera, and like the top lcd. I thought not having it would be a big problem, and it turned out to be a non issue. Much of that info is in your viewfinder/lcd screen and I find I don't miss it all.
I also have the D300 now. The D5000 is a nice compliment to the D300.
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:30 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
I also have the D300 now. The D5000 is a nice compliment to the D300.
I agree...I had a D80 and D300 and sold the D80 after getting the D5k. The D5k is better than the D80 except for the extra control. But even without some of the bells and whistles (extra control wheel, top lcd) the D5k still is easy to control, does better in low light, is faster and I even use the movie mode every now and then.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:46 PM   #74

I have a few questions for you owners of the D5000. I will be using it 98% outdoors for scenery and wildlife with the 18-200 VR ll and/or the 70-300 VR. Perhaps I'll try the 28-300 VR that Ken Rockwell praises. My questions:

Is this camera quick from turn-on to first shot ? We missed some great photo ops in Yellowstone this summer due to our present cameras taking several seconds to power up and shoot.

Is the auto-focus really good (and fast) in this camera with the 18-200 VR lens ? A few years ago I had a D40 with this lens and I was very pleased with the startup time as well as the quick focus and shot.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:27 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo10heli View Post
...Is this camera quick from turn-on to first shot ? We missed some great photo ops in Yellowstone this summer due to our present cameras taking several seconds to power up and shoot...
reading some reviews indicates the d5000 has the usual sleep mode. wake up is a half-press of the shutter release. basically, as soon as you're out, turn it on, set it for the conditions and let it go to sleep. it's back on when you need it as soon as you touch the button.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:16 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
reading some reviews indicates the d5000 has the usual sleep mode. wake up is a half-press of the shutter release. basically, as soon as you're out, turn it on, set it for the conditions and let it go to sleep. it's back on when you need it as soon as you touch the button.
That feature does very well. Used it that way many times.
I've had my D5000 with the Nikkor 18-200mm VR (sold recently for the 70-300mm VR) for over a year now and really like it. I do mostly Nature, Landscapes and wildlife.
You can see many of the pictures I took with that camera on my website in my sig. (Most of the ones toward the top of each link). I did my Nesting Bald Eagle story with that outfit.

Hope this helps.
Samsung S7 Edge

Last edited by jack55; Dec 15, 2010 at 3:19 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:07 AM   #77

Quote:
I have a few questions for you owners of the D5000. I will be using it 98% outdoors for scenery and wildlife with the 18-200 VR ll and/or the 70-300 VR. Perhaps I'll try the 28-300 VR that Ken Rockwell praises. My questions:

Is this camera quick from turn-on to first shot ? We missed some great photo ops in Yellowstone this summer due to our present cameras taking several seconds to power up and shoot.

Is the auto-focus really good (and fast) in this camera with the 18-200 VR lens ? A few years ago I had a D40 with this lens and I was very pleased with the startup time as well as the quick focus and shot.
What you have with this camera is the ability to choose when you want the dust reduction to operate.It's default is to vibrate the sensor when turning on and turning off.(this does not happen when reviving the camera as it's already switched on. Obviously if you select it to operate in turn off only, that will speed up the start up somewhat. You can operate the dust reduction any time at will. Otherwise it seems quick enough to me, I have seen the turn on to first shot time quoted in the reviews / descriptions but I cant remember which one unfortunately.Dont expect fast in live view though, the only chance there is to prefocus.I would go to a shop and try the outfit if you are concerned to that degree.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:20 AM   #78

The 5000 looks very interesting indeed. Myself, I'm leaning towards the D90 but I think the guide and articulated screen would be well received by my wife who is newer to photography than me. However, I could be very happy with either camera.

Jack: I click on your website link in your signature and nothing happens. Is it the browser I'm using (Firefox) ?

Thanks for the replies.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:45 AM   #79

Quote:
The 5000 looks very interesting indeed. Myself, I'm leaning towards the D90 but I think the guide and articulated screen would be well received by my wife who is newer to photography than me. However, I could be very happy with either camera.

Jack: I click on your website link in your signature and nothing happens. Is it the browser I'm using (Firefox) ?

Thanks for the replies.
Strange, that link works for me. It goes to IE, but should work on firefox. Try copping and pasting it in your URL.

I chose the D5000 over the D90. And that was before I got the D300. I ended up selling one of my two D5000 to get me the D300 as I wanted the 8 fpm feature of that camera for birding.
Samsung S7 Edge
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:49 AM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
That link works fine for me and I'm using Firefox. So, you probably have some type of security settings causing it to fail, or your anti-malware product is blocking access to it.

Does anything at all happen (new tab with loading message at the bottom of Firefox, etc.)? If you click on it, Firefox should open the link in a new tab unless you've got something unique to your PC (browser settings, firewall or security software, etc.) or DNS server settings preventing that from happening.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote