Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:47 PM   #1

Default I bought a D5000 over a D90 and am happy with my choice

I have received somed PM's from some who were looking at the D5000 and D90 and asking what made me choose the D5000 over the D90. So I figured I would answer here instead of sending several PM's.

You can always pay more money and get better. Yes the D90 is a better camera, but the D300s is better than the D90. So you have to decide what is good enough for what your looking for. What attracted me to the D5000 was the quality of the photos it takes, it is capable of taking the same quality photos as the D90 since it has the same sensor, autofocus, and other important issues, but it cost less. If the D90 took better photos, had a better sensor, and autofocus, I would of went with the D90. However I was able to get the very 18-55 and 55-200 VR lens option for only $900. Of course by the time you get the SB 600 flash, bag, memory card, and additional battery things add up pretty quick.

Besides the lower cost, there are two things that attracted me to the camera. First the size of the camera was smaller than the D90 and it's lighter. So going on vacations having a lighter camera is a welcome. The flip down screen is very handy. My son when in school plays, and concerts and I want to take a photo, sometimes, you will get the better shot if you put the camera over your head to block out the people in front of you. The last thing is I was coming from using a Nikon Coolpix 5700 camera. So the D40 was really good enough for me...what a huge improvement it offfered over my camera. I was ready to get the D60 when I heard about the D5000. With it's improvements over the D60, now it was a huge huge improvement over the camera I was using. So simply it was sooo good enough for me, that I decided not to bother with the more costly D90. But hey if you like the D90, it's a great option too. I would never say not to buy the D90, but for me, the D5000 will be able to meet all my needs, and that is all that really matters.
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

you are missing the biggest reason to get the D90, full compatibility with all Nikon lenses. the d5000 only autofocus's with lenses designated AF-S or 3rd party lenses with built in motors.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:47 PM   #3

... not to mention the better LCD display, the better viewfider, the DoF Preview, more shots per battery charge, and an optional vertical grip.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you are missing the biggest reason to get the D90, full compatibility with all Nikon lenses. the d5000 only autofocus's with lenses designated AF-S or 3rd party lenses with built in motors.
True, but with the 18-55 and 55-200 lens I have, I have no desire to get any more lens for my camera. Many are casual photographers and like having a lens for close up and one zoom lens. It's all many just need. I know it's hard for many of you to understand who appreciate all the options, but for many consumers, it's all we need.
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
... I know it's hard for many of you to understand who appreciate all the options, but for many consumers, it's all we need.
And I wish you well.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:41 PM   #6

I looked at the D5000 when I was shopping for a DSLR too, I really like the articulated screen, but the D90 sold me with screen resolution and the fact that I could use my old autofocus 35mm lenses, this way I feel I didn't loose quite as much of my film camera investment.

But if you didn't have any old autofocus nikon lenses laying around. the D5000 would be a fantastic choice.

I am more then ecstatic with my D90 though

Lee
Old Nov 27, 2009, 3:58 PM   #7

Default Update on a consumer photographer

I had a good learning experience with my camera on Thanksgiving on indoor, outdoor, shots with both lens's (18-55 VR, and 55-200 VR). There are a couple things that I found interesting.

With my 55-200 lens shooting on a cloudy day in P mode, the camera choose to shoot at ISO 3200 on most shots. This lens was used mostly for zooming on the floats and people in the street. This could of been a big concern. My lens does not offer as much light as some higher end lens options, so it needs to shoot at a higher ISO. If the D5000 was a camera of just 3 years ago, the photos taken at 3200 would be too grainy and not acceptable. Since Nikon improved the quality of their sensor and internal components since, the photos taken at 3200 still look great. For viewing photos on a TV, 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 photos, there are no issues with the 5000. However if I wanted to really blow up any of these photos, you would see the grains in the photos. Another issue was the subjects moving all the time so a faster shutter speed was necessary which of course gives less light into the lens.

Indoor shots the camera was choosing an ISO of 1600 even with the SB 600 flash. I found several reasons why the camera did this. First off in homes there are usually lots of windows. I tried to capture the people close enough not have show the windows in the shot, but was only partially successful. The camera picked up information on the windows in the shot which I think caused some problems. I should of chosen spot metering when the windows were in the background. The house also had some ceilings that had cathedral, and others were 9 feet high. I was guessing whether to put the flash straight, tilted at 45 or even higher. This will be something that I will only learn by using the flash on a regular basis.

I have a better understanding why people like Ken Rockwell like using the D40 for family photos and higher end cameras for everything else. For family photos, the D40 is fine camera and can take good photos. It's light, easy to use, and for basic photos with a good flash it will offer you good results. But once you need to use zoom lens, the DX lens may not offer enough light. Plus with it's old smaller sensor, and software I would find myself returning this to the store rather quickly. As you know the higher end lens's offer more light into the camera reducing the ISO and then giving sharper photos.

For my purposes at this time, the D5000 thankfully offers me great photos even with the lower light lens. I think the VR is another reason why the photos turned out as good as they did at ISO 3200. If I got more serious with photography (which I don't see yet) or had different needs, I would want to buy a Nikon 300s body and some very good lens options that would allow more light than the standard Nikon good consumer lens.

Lastly, LightRoom 3 (beta) is the software that I have chosen to use to work with reviewing my photos. Though the Nikon Capture NX2 does similar things, the complete gray screen, work flow, and less capabilities make the LightRoom 3 a big step up.
Attached Images

Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:00 AM   #8

Originally I had the D40x + 18-200.
When I first used it on P, I found that it always tried to shoot at a very fast shutter speed even when there was enough light for a slower speed.I.E 1/2000th at F11, my logic was why didnt it go for a wider ap and slower speed. So I contacted Nikon thinking there was a fault in the system. Their reply was that the set up was designed to avoid camera shake at a long 200mm end.
So if you leave Auto ISO enabled and use P you will always get this at the long end as the camera will up the ISO to give you a fast shutter. The D5000 is the same as I now have one. I imagine the D300 will be the same also. So try setting your ISO at what you want it to be i.e 800 then use P then use Program shift to get the desired shutter speed /Ap that you want ,or use A or S in the same way, obviously without program shift..
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Originally I had the D40x + 18-200.
When I first used it on P, I found that it always tried to shoot at a very fast shutter speed even when there was enough light for a slower speed.I.E 1/2000th at F11, my logic was why didnt it go for a wider ap and slower speed. So I contacted Nikon thinking there was a fault in the system. Their reply was that the set up was designed to avoid camera shake at a long 200mm end.
So if you leave Auto ISO enabled and use P you will always get this at the long end as the camera will up the ISO to give you a fast shutter. The D5000 is the same as I now have one. I imagine the D300 will be the same also. So try setting your ISO at what you want it to be i.e 800 then use P then use Program shift to get the desired shutter speed /Ap that you want ,or use A or S in the same way, obviously without program shift..
Thank you for sharing that information. I left it on auto since I was not sure which ISO to choose for my situation. However I am sure I would of been able to choose 1600 instead for my parade shots and received sharper photos. I will turn this auto mode on ISO off for P mode.
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:02 PM   #10

Just as a matter of interest. What I have done is I have made my Function button over to ISO and that enables me to quickly flick over to whatever ISO I need at the time ,without having to go through the Menu or i routes.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote