Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
At the maximum zoom, what you're seeing is Pixelation.

so would a better quality lens overcome this?

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
No. Basically, at that point, you're disassembling the image. Nothing is going to look good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:24 AM   #13

Quote:

Dave
Just curious, what is your reason/need for viewing at 525%. Really not much (if anything) is gained by viewing images at over 100%.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Just curious, what is your reason/need for viewing at 525%. Really not much (if anything) is gained by viewing images at over 100%.

i usually use that feature to recheck how sharp the picture came out and in that case i can safely say the 18-200 is a very sharp lens, unfortunately one has to shoot at F8 and above

Dave
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:47 PM   #15

Quote:
i usually use that feature to recheck how sharp the picture came out and in that case i can safely say the 18-200 is a very sharp lens, unfortunately one has to shoot at F8 and above

Dave
Most lenses are sharpest at f8 (give or take a stop), and even the best lenses are not sharp wide open. Honestly, most current lenses are acceptably sharp at medium apertures, and even when not at those apertures are just fine for casual use and the lack of sharpness isn't a huge problem at normal viewing/print sizes. Although viewing images at 100% will give you some insight as to the quality of a lens, and how sharp the image is, even viewing at 100% is not necessary for most casual images and their typical use (4x6, 5x7 printing and web viewing). I've printed shots taken with the 18-200 and made 16x20 prints which turned out great.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Most lenses are sharpest at f8 (give or take a stop), and even the best lenses are not sharp wide open. Honestly, most current lenses are acceptably sharp at medium apertures, and even when not at those apertures are just fine for casual use and the lack of sharpness isn't a huge problem at normal viewing/print sizes. Although viewing images at 100% will give you some insight as to the quality of a lens, and how sharp the image is, even viewing at 100% is not necessary for most casual images and their typical use (4x6, 5x7 printing and web viewing). I've printed shots taken with the 18-200 and made 16x20 prints which turned out great.

very well said
80% of most casual photos are printed at 4x6

Dave