Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1

Default D90 zoom

in review mode, when you zoom into a picture at the max.
what % blow up has the camera done ?

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:52 AM   #2

The manual says 27X for large (4288x2848) images, 20X for medium (3216x2136) and 13X for small (2144x1424).
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The manual says 27X for large (4288x2848) images, 20X for medium (3216x2136) and 13X for small (2144x1424).

thanks for the reply
but i was more looking for a % value
like in the view nx program where you can look at the pics at 0, 50% 100%, 200% etc
how much would 27x be in a % value

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
how much would 27x be in a % value
2700%.

I just took a phot of a 12 inch ruler at a distance that placed the ruler across the width of the frame. I then used the Playback Zoom feature to get a closer look. The image that filled the screen was slightly less than 1/2 inch on the ruler. That confirms the 27X.

The problem is that the 27X is when viewing the image on the 3 inch LCD on the back of the camera. When you're viewing the image on your computer screen, that changes things. When I move the image over to my PC and look at it in ViewNX with the screen resolution set to 1024x768, the same 1/2 inch on the ruler fills the image area with the view set to 400%. But when I set the screen resolution to 1600x1200, the same 400% shows more than a full inch on the ruler in the image area. When ViewNX displays the image at 100%, each pixel in the image is represented by a single pixel on the screen, at 200% each pixel in the image is represented by 4 pixels on the screen, and so on. There is no such correlation when using the Playback Zoom feature.

So the Playback Zoom doesn't equate to any particular setting in ViewNX. They are both representations of the image as displayed on the output device: the LCD screen on the back of the camera or the computer monitor.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 27, 2009 at 7:55 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:35 PM   #5

Quote:
2700%.

I just took a phot of a 12 inch ruler at a distance that placed the ruler across the width of the frame. I then used the Playback Zoom feature to get a closer look. The image that filled the screen was slightly less than 1/2 inch on the ruler. That confirms the 27X.

The problem is that the 27X is when viewing the image on the 3 inch LCD on the back of the camera. When you're viewing the image on your computer screen, that changes things. When I move the image over to my PC and look at it in ViewNX with the screen resolution set to 1024x768, the same 1/2 inch on the ruler fills the image area with the view set to 400%. But when I set the screen resolution to 1600x1200, the same 400% shows more than a full inch on the ruler in the image area. When ViewNX displays the image at 100%, each pixel in the image is represented by a single pixel on the screen, at 200% each pixel in the image is represented by 4 pixels on the screen, and so on. There is no such correlation when using the Playback Zoom feature.

So the Playback Zoom doesn't equate to any particular setting in ViewNX. They are both representations of the image as displayed on the output device: the LCD screen on the back of the camera or the computer monitor.

thanks
why i wondered was that
- on the computer monitor at 100% the pics look great
- on the zoom playback, if i keep pressing the zoom button to full, the pics get softish, but at the second to last zoom, it looks great.

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:56 AM   #6

On your computer, 100% is a 1:1 view of the image; each pixel in the image is displayed on a single pixel on the monitor. To see the entire 4288x2848 image, you must zoom out to 33% or so (depending on your screen resolution.)

On your D90's LCD screen, the 4288x2848 image is displayed at about 20%. Press the "Zoom In" button once, and the view is at about 25%. Press it again, and the view is about 33%. Press it again, and it's about 44%. Again and it's about 65%, 87%, 130%, 260%, and lastly, 525%. Roughly.

(These values were all determined by taking a photo of a 12" Westcott Ruler, and comparing the size of the image on the LCD display to the actual ruler.)
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:36 AM   #7

Quote:
On your computer, 100% is a 1:1 view of the image; each pixel in the image is displayed on a single pixel on the monitor. To see the entire 4288x2848 image, you must zoom out to 33% or so (depending on your screen resolution.)

On your D90's LCD screen, the 4288x2848 image is displayed at about 20%. Press the "Zoom In" button once, and the view is at about 25%. Press it again, and the view is about 33%. Press it again, and it's about 44%. Again and it's about 65%, 87%, 130%, 260%, and lastly, 525%. Roughly.

(These values were all determined by taking a photo of a 12" Westcott Ruler, and comparing the size of the image on the LCD display to the actual ruler.)
thanks for the info

Dave
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:21 PM   #8

Quote:

one more question on this subject
if at 260% the pics look great but on the last zoom 525%, it goes fuzzy,
What do you think is causing this?

Dave
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
one more question on this subject
if at 260% the pics look great but on the last zoom 525%, it goes fuzzy,
What do you think is causing this?

Dave
I wouldn't worry about how an image looks at 525%. This is way beyond normal print sizes, and probably similar to looking at a billboard from about 2 feet (just guessing, not an exact statement). Viewing images at this magnification really serves no purpose in my opinion.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:20 PM   #10

At the maximum zoom, what you're seeing is Pixelation.