Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:31 PM   #1

Default D90 bracketing transmitter

I bought a D90 a couple of weeks ago and cannot seem to find out how I can take multiple pictures with only one click on the transmitter. I have the ML-L3 transmitter.

This will be very usefull when brackting. A couple of times, actually a few more than a couple, I've forgotten if I've taken 2 or 3 or 4 pictures. I know I can look at the display, but if one cannot count to three...
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:31 AM   #2

Hi Alastair - I own a D80 and have the same remote for it you have. It will only take one picture at a time. I went through the same thing wanting to take HDR pictures using 3 bracketed shots,

I ended up buying the MC-DC1 wired remote from Nikon. I think the D90 takes a different model (MC-DC2 I think). It emulates the shutter button, so I just set the camera up to take 3 bracketed shots and hold the remote button down and it does it, the same as pressing the shutter button and holding it down. The short cord works nice on my tripod and I leave that remote tied on it at all times, so it is ready to use.

I use the wireless remote if I want to shoot a picture where I am standing a distance in front of the camera, like group shots I want to be in - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3

I have a D90 and the ML-L3. You can take bracket shots by using the bracket button, pick your number and exposure (such as 3 shots at -2, 0, +2), and clicking the ML-L3 three times (or whatever you chose). I'm just trying out HDR this weekend with the camera on the tripod. Test it out.

Sorry, I reread your post about single click. Need to click the ML-L3 3 times for bracketing. Wired release is the MC-DC2 for the D90 and 5000, but costs about 2x wireless - I'll count clicks.

Last edited by paniolo; Dec 28, 2009 at 4:03 AM. Reason: correction
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:21 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replies and confirming that it's not because I haven't read the manual well enough that I haven't found a way to do it.

I will be considering the MC-DC2, as I have been bitten by the HDR bug.

Thinking of it, is there maybe a way to use the timer and then have it take the three bracketing pictures? I have taken some bracketing pictures with the H choice (no timer), hand held and that worked out reasonably well after a lot of pin tagging in DPHDR.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:59 PM   #5

I don't think the timer will take do a burst of 3 shots, but I could be wrong, as I don't own a D90. The best way if you don't have the wired remote is with the camera on a tripod. Just hold the shutter button down using the procedure paniolo outlined above. Make sure the camera is not set to single shot mode.

Probably will not be as good as using a remote where you don't touch the camera, but if your steady, it might work ok for you - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:49 AM   #6

I haven't found a way, so I guess that it's not possible for the D90 either.

Even the D90 has it's faults.

Thanks Bruce.