Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1

Default D40 upgrade - what to do?

I am considering an upgrade but torn between a better body(probably D300) or new glass. I have a D40 and the following lenses;
Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S and Nikkor Af-S TC 17ED
Nikon 18 -55 kit lens
Nikon 55-200 VR
I shoot mostly wildlife and large raptors and have gotten some good results with the 300mm and TC, though there are always times you want more reach! I also want to shoot landscape (including lowlight), macro, travel and the occasional wedding for a friend. I want great images because of course I aspire to taking stellar shots some day, definetly still learning! I appriciate evryone's thoughts on this.
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:16 AM   #2

Going from the 6MP D40 to anything current, you'll see a significant difference. But much of what you say you want to do will require expanding your collection of lenses. I don't see that you have a choice; you need both a better body and more lenses. But sticking with the D40 will limit your selection of lenses, so upgrading the body first would probaby make the most sense.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:59 AM   #3

how about upgrading to a D90 then put the money you save towards more glass
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Of course I agree I "NEED" a new body and new glass, damn those budgets anyway! Is it worth it to go for the D300 or will the D90 serve just as well with the extra $$$ for glass? Any thoughts on a good versatile zoom lens I can do multiple things with until I can fill my bag with everything on my want list? THANKS, definatly need help!
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:55 AM   #5

I've got the D90 and my stepson has the D300. There are things that the D300 can do that the D90 can't, but there are things that the D90 can do that the D300 can't. It's a tough choice, but the D90 is a bargain, comparatively speaking. But then there's the D300s ...

For a good telephoto zoom on a budget, you can't beat the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:12 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I've got the D90 and my stepson has the D300. There are things that the D300 can do that the D90 can't, but there are things that the D90 can do that the D300 can't. It's a tough choice, but the D90 is a bargain, comparatively speaking. But then there's the D300s ...

For a good telephoto zoom on a budget, you can't beat the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.
Think you missed that the OP has a lovely 300mm f4 so probably getting the Tamron would be pointless and not nearly as sharp/fast focusing etc.

The slightly better performing D300 would be my choice for sports however it is very close with the price difference to the D90.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:56 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i agree that i would think the d300 to be worth the upgrade for sports.

however, for your wildlife, macro, cityscape, etc. i think in this instance getting the d90 and spending the difference on glass makes a lot of sense.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:25 PM   #8

After reading about the 300S here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300s.htm I know what my next camera is going to be.
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:06 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
After reading about the 300S here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300s.htm I know what my next camera is going to be.
i would suggest expanding your lens lineup first. and i don't want to say to ignore ken rockwell's biased opinions, but maybe i just did.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote