Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:33 PM   #1

Default Upgrade Opinions, D90 or D300?

I am considering an upgrade from my D40 Body. I shoot mostly wildlife and eagles, but also landscape, travel and some macro and wedding. The wildlife is my main focus though. I use a Nikon 300mm F4 with a Nikon TC17ED. For my needs does it make more sense to go for the D300 or save some $$$ on the D90? Will my results improve signiicantly with the body upgrade or is the money better spent on glass? Also is it worth buying now or would it be better to wait awhile for price drops? Thanks all.
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2

I have no experience with the D300, but it does cost quite a lot more, so it's probably better. I have nearly only superlatives for the D90 and I almost only take landscape pictures, with the occasional portrait picture. The D90 is easy to handle with all the controllers, e.g. aperture, easy at hand. Since I’m an amateur photographer the D300 seemed more like a camera for professional and for amateurs with very special needs.

As for waiting until the prices drop... All I can say about that is that there is a reason they drop, there is something new and "better" on the market that they want you to buy instead. It’s like everything else; once a brand has something new that they wish the consumers to buy instead they lower the prices on the old version until they’ve sold all they think they can earn money on and then take it off the market.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Well the D300 offers a better AF which could be helpful for bird in flight shots, etc. But the D90 is no slouch either.

How much of your wildlife shots are action, i.e. bird in flight, etc?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:31 PM   #4

A lot of my shots are more still or slower action- eagles in trees, animals eating, grooming themselves etc. - but I do get some action - bucks fighting, foxes pouncing at mice etc.- I am trying to get eagles in flight, but it is hit and miss, a few good ones but nothing great so far, which I think has a lot to do with me, gotta get better at panning and be quicker. Guess I will have to spend more time shooting, what a bummer!!!
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:34 PM   #5

The D300 is already being phased out in favor of the new D300s, which is almost twice the price of the D90. You could buy a lot of good glass for that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
... I am trying to get eagles in flight, but it is hit and miss, a few good ones but nothing great so far, ...
I think that either the D90 or the D300 will improve your keeper ratio significantly. That is something that the D40 just isn't good at, but that the D90 and D300 are.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:42 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The D300 is already being phased out in favor of the new D300s, which is almost twice the price of the D90. You could buy a lot of good glass for that.
i agree. i think the price difference could be used for some good glass as it seems like the d90 is more than up to the task for your intended purposes.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:42 PM   #8

Finally got my D90 yesterday (upgraded from D70) and I love it so far. I am anxious to get out and take some shots.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:39 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis0083 View Post
Finally got my D90 yesterday (upgraded from D70) and I love it so far. I am anxious to get out and take some shots.
congrats! look forward to some examples.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
I am considering an upgrade from my D40 Body. I shoot mostly wildlife and eagles, but also landscape, travel and some macro and wedding. The wildlife is my main focus though. I use a Nikon 300mm F4 with a Nikon TC17ED. For my needs does it make more sense to go for the D300 or save some $$$ on the D90? Will my results improve signiicantly with the body upgrade or is the money better spent on glass? Also is it worth buying now or would it be better to wait awhile for price drops? Thanks all.
I've been debating the same as I wanted another body to go with my two D5000 bodies with three lenses, 18-55mm, 55-200mm & Sigma (BIGMA) 50-500mm and have decided to get a D90. I've read tons of reviews on both, (D90 & D300) and it doesn't seem to justify the extra price for the D300 as the "much newer" D90 can do as much sometimes more than the D300. The new D300s is just way too expensive and doesn't really do that much more than the D90 can.
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge

Last edited by jack55; Jan 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote