Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13
Default Used or Demo model bodies?

Does anyone have experience buying bodies used or store demo models? If so which stores are reputable for this? Thanks
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

adorama sells demo and they are very reputable. They sometime get demo lenses from canon that I have brought before with a full canon warranty.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,543
Default

Adorama also sells factory refurbished models.

I would hesitate to buy a used model, unless the person you're buying it from is a close relative. You really don't know how it might have been used and abused by the prior owner, and if something goes wrong, you're out of luck.

Get a warranty. Not a guarantee. When you buy a dSLR, you're going to buy lenses and accessories for it. If something goes wrong with the body, you don't want your money back because you'd be out all the lenses and accessories too; you want it fixed.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Cameta Camera also sells Nikon demo cameras. Because you only get a 90 day warranty from Nikon. Cameta then gives the buyer a 1 year warranty to equal what you would normally receive when purchasing a new camera body.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:58 PM   #5
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

I second mtclimber on Cameta Camera being a great choice, and they are also an authorized Nikon USA Dealer.

If you browse through their store on Ebay, you'll often find good deals on Nikon gear.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera?_rdc=1

Note that you need to be very careful buying Nikon gear if you're not familiar with the vendor. Stick with a reputable vendor that offers a Nikon USA warranty with the product. Be careful as to how it's worded in the listings. MOST great deals you find for Nikon models are gray market cameras, and the sellers will often use misleading statements about the warranties (1 year warranty that's a store warranty versus a Nikon USA manufacturer's warranty, etc).

There are a lot of "gray market" cameras being sold now (not intended for sale in the country you live in). Nikon USA will usually refuse to service these, even if you are willing to pay for the service. So, unless you know that the camera was originally intended for sale in the U.S., you could risk getting a camera that would be difficult to get serviced.

Nikon USA will refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Some of the other Nikon distributors (for example, Nikon Canada) have the same policy. They will not service it, period. They will know if a camera is intended for sale in the country you live in by it's serial number.

Cameta Camera is a reputable vendor, and is an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer, selling Nikon gear intended for sale in the U.S.

You can find a link to a .pdf file with a list of authorized Nikon USA Dealers on this page:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/WhereToBuy.page
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:52 AM   #6
Member
 
HelenOster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 69
Default Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
adorama sells demo and they are very reputable.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Adorama also sells factory refurbished models.
We do indeed, and as you noted, all refurbs sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer. A refurbished unit from Adorama may be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

A refurb can also have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurbished item will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

The best piece of advice, 'though, (apart from checking the terms of any warranty), is to check the customer feedback of a retailer at www.reselleratings.com. You probably want to think very carefully before purchasing from a source with a rating of less than about 9.2 / 9.3
__________________
Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador




HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Thank you!



We do indeed, and as you noted, all refurbs sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer. A refurbished unit from Adorama may be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

A refurb can also have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurbished item will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

The best piece of advice, 'though, (apart from checking the terms of any warranty), is to check the customer feedback of a retailer at www.reselleratings.com. You probably want to think very carefully before purchasing from a source with a rating of less than about 9.2 / 9.3
Helen,

The last lens I got from Ari was a canon demo, he assure me that I would have a fully canon warranty, and when I got home I had no issue registering the lens. Was this correct info I was given, or is the canon demo an adorama guarantee only?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:07 AM   #8
Member
 
HelenOster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 69
Default Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Helen,

The last lens I got from Ari was a canon demo, he assure me that I would have a fully canon warranty, and when I got home I had no issue registering the lens. Was this correct info I was given, or is the canon demo an adorama guarantee only?
Demos are not the same as refurbs; Canon refurbs come with a 12-month return-to-Adorama warranty.
If you purchase a demo from the used department then it would only come with a 90-day warranty. If you purchase a demo from the main part of the inventory, the warranty will be indicated in the description.
__________________
Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador




HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

no it was not from the used department. It was form the main department inventory.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:18 AM   #10
Member
 
HelenOster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 69
Default Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
no it was not from the used department. It was form the main department inventory.
The warranty should be as was described on the website
__________________
Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador




HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:01 PM.