Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:44 PM   #11

I'm going to play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate. I hope you will forgive me.

The best investment you can make is in glass. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy a lens. If you're not happy with the results you're getting with the kit lens, buy a Tamron 17-50/2.8. Lenses outlast bodies, and good lenses are worth every penny.

Don't worry about any perceived shortcomings in the D5000 until you need a lens that won't autofocus on it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:18 PM   #12

oh yeah i agree glass is good - and if its a choice between a upgrade from say a d90 to a d300 - unless you have a need of the better autofocus or something specific would be far better investing in a new lens instead - but if your looking at jumping in at the start then i say get the best body you can
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:37 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate. I hope you will forgive me.

The best investment you can make is in glass. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy a lens. If you're not happy with the results you're getting with the kit lens, buy a Tamron 17-50/2.8. Lenses outlast bodies, and good lenses are worth every penny.

Don't worry about any perceived shortcomings in the D5000 until you need a lens that won't autofocus on it.
i am going to back up TCAV on this one. you will gain much more going for some better glass/external flashes than you will going up in bodies, in general.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i am going to back up TCAV on this one. you will gain much more going for some better glass/external flashes than you will going up in bodies, in general.
I'm with Dustin and TC. I was fairly experienced when I bumped up to the D300. I made the move for better/faster focus, and higher frame rate. However, the first few weeks were tough, as the sheer number of options and levels of detail can be overwhelming. It took me a while to set up the camera in a way that I was happy, and I can't imagine being able to do that if I had been a beginner. Nikon's manuals are not very good, and the D300's is like a small book. I can't imagine someone sitting down to simply read it to try to learn how to use the camera from scratch with the manual. Plus the size and weight of the D300 (and other pro level camera) are not conducive to general carry everywhere photography. I replaced my D80 with the D5k, and although I miss the extra control the D300 offers, the D5k is a solid camera and will serve the needs of most casual photographers. Even with lens limitations (which I guess will always be mentioned), there is plenty of quality glass that will AF with the D5k. Unless you need an arsenal of fast primes, almost every lens need is covered by the current lineup of first and 3rd party lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:11 AM   #15

i dont think id recommend a D300 to a new user, the lack of auto modes for a start, i think the D5000 is an excellent place to start and like others have said, buy lenses then upgrade the camera a few years down the line as your knowledge grows.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:34 AM   #16

now i'm not a nikon user - but the d300 doesn't have an auto mode? if thats the case then for a casual shooter then yeah i guess its not a good choice - i figured all cameras right upto the professional ff's would have an auto mode for those quick snap emergencies
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
now i'm not a nikon user - but the d300 doesn't have an auto mode? if thats the case then for a casual shooter then yeah i guess its not a good choice - i figured all cameras right upto the professional ff's would have an auto mode for those quick snap emergencies
It has an AUTO mode; it doesn't have scene modes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:05 PM   #18

Let me jump in and add my recommendation to others saying lenses are far more important. Look, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I've seen a LOT of people in the last few years throw big money at camera bodies - only to pair them up with poor lenses or poor technique. The only thing buying a d300 will do for the average newbie is drain funds from their bank account.

Ask yourself this question - do you consider $1000 to be too much for a lens or do you consider it to be reasonable if the lens is the right one for your needs? If you think $1000 is too much for a lens then a D300 is not the camera for you. THat doesn't mean you NEED to spend $1000+ on every lens just that it's absolutely silly to buy a professional body and put a cheap consumer grade lens on it.

For the average consumer, the only reason why the D5000 would be a poor choice is if that consumer were shooting with short prime lenses. And it's few average consumers that are.

So, count me with the others - other lenses, external flash will do much more to improve the quality of your shots than a body upgrade.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
... external flash will do much more to improve the quality of your shots than a body upgrade.
This is a statement that gets overlooked far too often. While I can appreciate the folks who swear by and insist on available light shooting (and in some cases it is the only choice), a flash will make your low light/indoor shooting much easier and more enjoyable and ultimately give you the best results. It takes some time to master the use of a speedlight, but is well worth the effort and an external speedlight should be at the top of almost every photographers shopping list.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:15 PM   #20

What's a speed light and what do you guys suggest?

Thanks

BP
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote