Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:03 AM   #1

Default Wrong Choice?

Hi. I'm new to DSLR photography. I purchased a Nikon D5000 for my wife for Christmas. Have yet to take it out of the box. I bought this camera because of the really good review it recieved on this site. I see some people are unhappy and some are happy with this camera.

My wife and I have always wanted to get into photography. I keep hearing how some of the people who bought the 5000 are unhappy and that the D90 is better than this camera and how the D300s is even better. I know that cameras will always keep improving with newer technology. I can accept that. I would like some input from some other photographers out there as to what they would purchase. I know that these are opinions and I appreciate your time. I have yet to open the box, so I can return this camera if needed.

We will use this camera mainly for photographing our children and probably outdoor/nature type photos on the side.

Thanks again!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:26 AM   #2

If you look around, you'll find that there really is no one unhappy with the D5000....some are pointing out what every camera has..deficiencies.

In general the D5000 gets good reviews...my short list is D5000, Pentax K-X and Canon T1i....and it will boil down to price.

In your case..new to DLSR..you COULD buy a camera that is ..in fact..over your head, and you'd probably be more frustrated then if you bought a too simple a camera...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:57 AM   #3

I can agree with that...I bought a Nikon D70 a few years ago and have yet to grow/learn into its abilities!

Teresa
ttrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:23 AM   #4

The Nikon D5000 is a good camera and will do everything you say you want to do. There will always be a "Bigger, Better, Faster" out there somewhere, but you have yet to even get your feet wet. The D5000 gives you plenty of room to grow.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:20 AM   #5

Default Thanks

I really appreciate your opinions and setting my mind at ease. Seeing all of the great pictures people take on this site and all of the knowledgeable people that are on here. Well, I'd be lying if I didn't say this all seems a little overwhelming. I hope the learning curve for me to be able to take great pictures like I see on this site isn't too difficult.

Thanks again!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:25 AM   #6

Good luck.

And come back and post some of your photos.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Good luck.

And come back and post some of your photos.
I've owned quite a few Nikon SLR and DSLR cameras. I'm currently using a D300 and bought a D5000 as a backup (selling my D80 in the process). I find myself reaching for the D5k as much as the D300 as it is the perfect combination of size, weight and performance for general everyday use. It's great for family functions, and as a carry everywhere, and I have even used it for sports. My D300 is still the money camera, but the D5k is very good. I'm even happy with the video function.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:50 PM   #8

One feature I find useful on the D5k is the flip out screen with live view, over Christmas my Great Granddaughter visited (6 mths old) and I was able to get some nice low level shots of her that other wise I would have had to lie down flat on the floor to get and as I was only bending over I was able to get her to look up / sideways easily. My wife is no photographer but as the camera has loads of scene settings she feels confident to use it like a point and shoot.The only thing I would say is that like most DSLRs it tends to under expose a tad which compared to a point and shoot may disappoint but it is easily put right by dialing in a bit more exposure if you dont have any photo software to post process. I think the camera came with some, although I never downloaded it as I have Photoshop Elements.
My pennyworth is, it's a great little camera and I cant see me wanting another for a long time but I have said that before :-). A Happy New Year to all of you out there!!!
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Dec 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
We will use this camera mainly for photographing our children and probably outdoor/nature type photos on the side.

Thanks again!
I think that the D5k will work very well for your stated use. It's pretty flexible. You can get as complicated or as simple as you want. It will grow with you.
I've been shooting Nikon (film) for many years. I am also new to advanced digital, but I find the more I learn, the more I realise the D5k was the proper choice, and I'm enjoying the process. I have found the software that comes with it is useful, especially ViewNX. Whether the Capture programme might be useful may depend on what your computer already has. So I would recommend charging up the battery and playing with it.
R.A.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:05 PM   #10

i'll play devils advocate here and go against the majority - if you have doubts about your choice and can afford a better camera then buy the best you can - otherwise you'll always be wondering hmmm i wonder if the d300 would have been better (shall point out here that for alot of stuff it wont be any better but then there are areas where it will destroy the d5000's performance)

go to a camera shop and check that the other cameras aren't to big and heavy etc first - but if that doesn't bother you then go for it

i completely disagree with higher spec cameras overwhelming you - the same easy to use options are there - program modes automatic modes etc perhaps just without the simple user guides built in - but spend 10mins online and they will teach you everything you need to effectively use a dslr even in full manual mode - the rest you can get from a little experiance and reading the manual - and the entry level models wont magically compensate for experiance anyway - and anyway you dont buy a dslr camera to put in automatic mode - thats for if you see a ufo and want a clear shot quickly =)

infact higher spec cameras are often easier to use since hey have the controls you want are more easily availble and you dont have to hold down other buttons to change apeture or shutter speeds etc

now shall stop playing devils advocate again and say if your photographic ambitions are limited - then frankly the likes of the d300 is overkill - but if money is not an issue why not have the best
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote