Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:37 AM   #11

well then have at it and enjoy.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:54 PM   #12

Default Just Received My D2H Nikon

Hi - Cool camera - Great fast shutter - looking forward for a updated firmware to reduce the unnecessary noise levels - might be worth waiting - for the studio D2X - Curtis
ctanney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:46 PM   #13

funny i had and used one just 2 weeks ago. its a nice camera and they've been used at various sporting events for over 2 months. its a tool. it ain't that exciting.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 1:57 AM   #14

I''m not realy sure how to reply. Years ago, I used to really get excited about the cameras I bought. Then a photo instructor at the U of M told me to consider the camera as nothing more or less than a tool. That was so opposite of everything I had thought previously, but I realized he was right. It was the photos that count, not the camera.

Having said that, I need to add that having struggled to get good (in my opinion) photos of r/c car racing for the past 10 years, I think I know what I need to be able to do it better. At least I know what things cause my photos to fail. Nikon seems to have included in the D2h most of what I'm now lacking.... but I realize that to use it to its full potential, I probably also need to get some newer lenses. I'll find that out soon enough.

I could almost disagree with sjms, and say that (to me at least) the D2h sounds plenty exciting - but the better answer is that what's exciting is thinking about what I hope to be able to do with it once I get it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, to me, the thought of owning a Ferrari or a Corvette is also exciting. I never got a Ferrari, but years ago I did buy a Corvette. It was wonderful for a while, but several years down the road the excitement had worn off. Maybe that's part of the reason why sjms isn't so "excited" about the D2h - I get the feeling that he's got access to that kind of equipment whenever he wants it.

I think I might have one in the next week or so. A week or so after that I'll know if it's really the answer to what I want to do, or just another step in a positive direction.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:09 PM   #15

for your reading pleasure:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...2h_review.html

ok, what did feel "exciting" with the D2H.....it felt the way a Nikon should when using it and to me that is better then a Canon.

it is unfortunate that the 1D still edges it out in the "noise" dept at higher ISO. and the 1Ds is the full frame overall image quality master of the moment. pains me it does to admit these things.

as to equipment access: sometimes yes . sometimes no.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:56 PM   #16

Another great review is this one:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6447-6490

I won't get into the question about a camera being a tool. It is a tool, but it can also be exciting. But it had also better do what you want, and hopefully what your current stuff can't... or why buy it?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:03 AM   #17

The Precious!, My Precious!

See where it got Gollum.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:08 AM   #18

How did you feel about battery life? Did you check how many images you can capture on a full charge?
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 5:02 AM   #19

>>[I could almost disagree with sjms, and say that (to me at least) the D2h sounds plenty exciting - but the better answer is that what's exciting is thinking about what I hope to be able to do with it once I get it.<<

Just take a look at the plethora of equipment jsms has and you'll see why he doesn't find the D2H exciting -- he's a gourmand <G>!

Regards,
<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 8:43 AM   #20

the battery life is very good it has a killer 11v Li ion battery kit. should go well over 750+ shots a charge w/minimal losses in charge when not used for a few days. shoulld last about 1.5-2 years depending on the beating you give it.

the CF transfer rate is astounding. ref test:
http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6555