Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2003, 3:27 PM   #1

Default Downside to D2H?

The D2H has less pixels then the D1X or the D100. Nikon implies that their improved sensor in the D2H makes up for the reduction in pixels. Can anyone coment on the quality of images produced by the D2H compared to both the D1x and the D100?
Regards
Rick
sailhighc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2003, 12:12 AM   #2

the question are you going to need 8fps and 40 some odd frames shot at a clip? this is a camera designed for a particular purpose to shoot HS. its a SI/News camera. it will produce an excellent image when used for what it was designed. the eos1D still has it in the noise dept at high iso though. both have their limits in blow up size.

this is what it was meant for:

http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6447-6490

this is from someone who shoots for a living
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:18 PM   #3

To add a story that shows this:

I read here and there on several forums, including the forums on that site sjms posted (its a good article, BTW.) A person posted a link to two back-to-back pictures he took during a hockey game. The first showed the player starting to spin over an opponents leg. The second picture showed the player sitting on their butt. That is what 3 frames-per-second got him. He was now going to go ask for a faster camera. If he had something like the D2H, he could have gotten the "diving through the air" shot, and the "up-side-down" shot as well.

Do many people need to take those shots? No. But when you do, it's worth the money and the lower resolution.

Resolution isn't everything.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:54 PM   #4

Being able to use something over ISO 6000 is something I'm really looking forward to! This weekend, once again, I had the problem of not enough light to get a decent shutter speed to capture a fast-moving radio control car. Panning the camera helped, but I rarely got the image I hoped for.

I was 10th on the waiting list to get one of these critters... now I'm 5th. So, maybe in a week or so, I'll be able to start using one, instead of just reading about it!
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:16 AM   #5

just don't come back complaining about the noise in the shot. there will be a considerable amount at that high an iso
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:13 AM   #6

Many years ago, it was the same choice - not enough light, so either use very high speed film (and get a grainy photo) or not get any photo at all.

I don't think I'll have to go as far up as 6000, but it's nice to know that I can when/if needed. At any rate, I'm certainly going to test it out.

Everything is a compromise, and getting a grainy image isn't always the worst possible compromose. Grain can be fixed up later; blurry images can't.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:18 AM   #7

just as long as we all understand that. now, as the iso goes up the level of noise will also. you will find that there is a limit to what you cand fix in the noise area w/o removing an unreasonable amount of detail.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:48 AM   #8

Consider the alternative - picture yourself stuck with ASA 100 film (or digital) trying to get good action shots under very poor lighting conditions. :-)

......better to just put the camera away and forget getting pictures, or *try* to wait for people to remain stationary long enough to get at least some kind of picture.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:01 AM   #9

i shoot at 1000 without any real issues and a clean up w/NI. but there are still minor issues in the image still. going up to 3200 and higher, which i used to do with B/W film all the time(i loved the grain in B/W), will not be particularly a pretty sight in color even after clean up. i'm just hoping your expectations don't exceeed that of the cameras capabilities.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:19 AM   #10

I suspect that at ISO 1000 I'd be able to do just fine. I doubt that I'm going to go for ISO 6000 just because it's there, but it's nice to know that it is available when/if needed.

I won't know for a while if my expectations exceed the camera's capabilities, but those capabilities are light-years ahead of the equipment I'm using right now.