Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:34 AM   #1

Default which nikon is best for IR photography?

i wanted to try my hand at some IR photography but have discovered that my pentax k-7 has a vicious ir filter built in and is not really much use for ir photography

the old pentax k100d would have worked but they are pretty old now and not sure i wanna buy something outside of warranty - so was wondering if any of the entry level nikons would work? thinking d3000 or d5000 would have the added benefit of giving me another system even if it does mean a second lens collection (bad case of lba so will give me more choices to get my fix from anyway)

or are all new cameras these days got very heavy ir filters built in?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
i wanted to try my hand at some IR photography but have discovered that my pentax k-7 has a vicious ir filter built in and is not really much use for ir photography

the old pentax k100d would have worked but they are pretty old now and not sure i wanna buy something outside of warranty - so was wondering if any of the entry level nikons would work? thinking d3000 or d5000 would have the added benefit of giving me another system even if it does mean a second lens collection (bad case of lba so will give me more choices to get my fix from anyway)

or are all new cameras these days got very heavy ir filters built in?
No nikon cameras are good Ir cameras out of the box. They all have pretty heavy Ir filters. you can send your camera away to have it modified to do Ir photography, but obviously there is a cost, and your warranty will be voided, and there is no going back. Many photographers take their older cameras that they just have lying around to have them modified. Here is a place that does it with prices http://www.lifepixel.com/digital-inf...difytoinfrared.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:41 AM   #3

yeah dont want to go to the expense of getting one modified - specially as it kills the warranty - guess buying an old camera is the only option then - just have to hope dont get one on the verge of breaking down

sadly i dont have an old dslr lying around - my last slr was film
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Get a old slr, they are very cheap, especially on ebay. You can try to find a old pentax that takes the AF lenses and you should be set.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Super Moderator

the older Nikon D100 is great for IR filter work
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:59 AM   #6

yeah had a look on ebay and the k100d which i've seen take very nice ir pictures without any modifications (other than filter of course) is avaible but its damn near as much as a brand new d3000 - might be able to get one cheap on an actual auction but buy it now isn't saving much and its a very old camera

the advantages would ahve been obvious with a new camera just hoped nikon entry levels might not been so agressive with the ir filter - then not only would i have had a new camera to use for ir photos but would have got an entry point into another system to give more choices for upgrading if pentax doesn't keep up its momentum with the replacement for the k7 - but guess its just a case of over time they are getting better with the ir filters so they are all getting stronger

perhaps i might just have to live without IR photography or maybe haul out the old film slr and see if i cant find some IR film for it
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
but guess its just a case of over time they are getting better with the ir filters so they are all getting stronger
yes, this is the case.

if you want to play with IR photography, alot of companies use to modify like Canon G2's, G3s, G5s and like Nikon 990s to be full ir cams. not too expensive i wouldnt think
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Administrator

The older Nikon Coolpix 950 (2 Megapixel model) is relatively sensitive to IR. I've still got one.

Starting with the Coolpix 990, the AA filter blocked more IR (not very suitable for it), You'll find the same thing with most modern cameras (too much IR blocking to be practical without relatively long exposure times).

Another camera you may want to look at is the Minolta DiMAGE 7. It used a Sony 5MP 2/3" type Sensor and was relatively sensitive to IR. Later models (DiMAGE 7i, etc) using a Sony 5MP 2/3" sensor had stronger IR filtering.

You'll find some nice galleries by Daniella using a DiMAGE 7 here:

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/infrared_with_dimage_7

Some of the earlier dSLR models (including some of the Kodak DCS Pro series models) had removable AA filters that made them more sensitive to IR (and both Canon and Fuji have offered versions of more modern dSLR models designed to be sensitive to IR).

As already mentioned, you can also have a camera modified to be more sensitive to IR. Here's one company that provides that service:

http://www.maxmax.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Another camera you may want to look at is the Minolta DiMAGE 7. It used a Sony 5MP 2/3" type Sensor and was relatively sensitive to IR. Later models (DiMAGE 7i, etc) using a Sony 5MP 2/3" sensor had stronger IR filtering.

You'll find some nice galleries by Daniella using a DiMAGE 7 here:

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/infrared_with_dimage_7
did she just use a stock DiMage 7 with like a Hoya R72?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Administrator

Yes... But, she is pretty good with Photoshop. ;-)

Here's a page with a lot of different PP methods mentioned. You'll also see Daniella's method there:

http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo/photo_infrared.htm

Quote:
  • post-processing via Daniella ("zylen)" method using a Dimage 7:
    • take a good photograph with good subject, white balance to tungsten, color saturation to -3 or -2 and contrast to -2.
    • copy the layer and apply auto-level. Adjust the slider to adjust the result. Once the result is ok, merge them.
    • copy the layer again, then adjustment, channel mixer and swap the blue and red channel. Keep the unswapped image underneath. You can add a layer mask and blend the swapped and unswapped image, and reveal or hide part of the swapped image that you want or don't want.
    • create a new layer and use "color" mode for the blend. Then use the color that you want and spray the area to tint the area that you want to correct.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote