Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Can you help me diagnose d40 problem?

Just received a used Nikon D40 with Sigma 18-200mm lens with OS HSM. Of course, I immediately began taking pictures. I quickly noticed a problem at 18 mm with the flash on. At the bottom of the picture, there appears to be a small dark half circle in every picture at 18 mm. Just increasing to 22 gets rid of it. An example is attached. Please let me know if you have any good ideas. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by ALFisher; Jan 31, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
ALFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:02 AM   #2

Relax, your camera is fine. The shadow is caused by the on board flash hitting the lens when shooting wide. Zoom in some and the problem will disappear. The only real fix is an external flash.

Robert

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:17 AM   #3

Default Not to worry

I got caught with that same problem with the same camera/lens combination. The lens is just too long for the flash at the widest setting. As mentioned previously, just zoom in a little bit. Or, another good solution to use an external flash. I'm not a big photographer, nothing professional. So I purchased the SB-400 flash, and it works very well with my D40. I especially like the bounce flash. Of course, everyone here will argue that the SB-600 is a much better flash. No arguments here about that but I really do like my little SB-400.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the help. This is what I suspected, but being fairly new to dSLR, I hoped someone could confirm it. I am going to borrow a friend's kit lens for the d40 and see if it happens there too. Great forum. Thanks again.
ALFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:04 PM   #5

I can tell you right now that you won't have the shadow problem with the kit lens. It isn't long enough to create the problem. After I discovered the shadow with the Sigma lens, I have stopped using it for most of my flash photography, and turn to my 18-55 mm. Then I know I won't have to deal with the shadow.

Last edited by jphess; Feb 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote