Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:22 PM   #11

For dSLRs, Adorama has a refurbished Nikon D3000 body for $319, a refurbished Canon XS with kit lens for $400, a new Sony A230 with kit lens for $410, and a new Pentax K2000 with kit lens for $420.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:36 PM   #12

Primarily my kid indoor and outdoor. Some other pictures. My budget is set to $350-$400 by my wife. The lower the better. I do like canon and nikon. I like that nikon has lamp for low light focus and I don't have to pop up flash like canon does. I also believe that I get better value for money when I would go with Nikon.
lepa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:04 PM   #13

The Nikon D3000 can shoot at higher ISO settings (lower light) than the others, but it doesn't come with a lens, and while you can get a kit lens for it for $74, it's not stabilized like the one that comes with the Canon, and the Nikon body isn't stabilized like with the Pentax or Sony.

I'd call it about even.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:47 PM   #14

It does come with VR lens which is IS lens on Canons.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepa71 View Post
It does come with VR lens which is IS lens on Canons.
The D3000 I linked to is just the body, and the lens I linked to is not the VR lens. A refurbished Nikon VR kit lens is $114. That would put you over budget by $33. Plus, you'd still need an SD card and still need to pay for shipping and handling. How will that sit with your wife?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:02 PM   #16

Thank you for your help, but that is not what I'm asking in this thread. Please read it from the beginning.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:36 PM   #17

A refurbished Nikon D3000 plus a refurbished Nikon 18-55 VR kit lens, all from Adorama, would cost $433, which is more than your budget. And you'd still need to pay for shipping and handling.

A refurbished Nikon D3000 plus a used Nikon 18-55 non-VR kit lens, all from Adorama, would cost $393.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepa71 View Post
Thank you for your help, but that is not what I'm asking in this thread. Please read it from the beginning.
I think everyone is aware of what you're asking. I think everyone is just warning you that with either of your original choices, you're are taking somewhat of a risk, and that you are probably better off saving up a little longer and buying from a more reputable source. As has been said many times, used bodies carry lots of risk, and even though refurbs may be a bit more, in the long run your much safer buying a refurb. The kits you are looking at may very well be ok and may give you many years of service. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with the slightly used D3k. You're getting probably better IQ and the newer body likely carries less risk of sudden failure. 10,000 clicks isn't a bunch, but the age of the D80, and not knowing how it was used or stored is what scares me.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:44 PM   #19
Super Moderator

if this is already such a tight constrain on your budget, i would be rather scared to pick up any used dslr, if it fails, you are pretty much SOL.

i would feel much safer pinching pennies for another month to 2 months and increasing your budget to 500$. amazon has the d3000 new with the vr kit lens for 449, giving you 50$ to get a nice memory card.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:46 PM   #20

3000, its newer, and newer in the camera world "usually" means better...
id rather have a D300 over a D2x or D2H

though the d2h is a professional model, the 300 being of a lower status persay, it has a better photo sensor and what not.

Last edited by pbjunkiee; Feb 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote