Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1

Default D80 or D3000???

I would like to hear your opinion on this. I can get D3000 kit with 18-55 vr lens and some extra( bag, 2.5x telephoto lens, etc.) for $350 or D80 with the same lens no extras for $400. Which one?

Both of the cameras are used. I'm not going to be pro in photography and I'm not even trying. I'm not going to buy lot of lenses. I just want to get good camera with 1 or 2 lenses, that is it. I don't know if $50 extra will give me something I will never use. Some concerns I have with D80 that it doesn't have anti-dust feature like D3000 has, but it is more professional camera with lots of feature. D3000 seems to have a better AF system. How the noise on those two on HI ISO?

Thanks
lepa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2

First, buying a used dSLR is a big gamble. You don't know how much it's been used or haw it's been handled. It may fail soon after you buy it, and a money back guarrrantee won't help with any accessories you buy for it. You should get a warranty, not a guarantee.

Second, the 2.5X telephoto lens, and probably most of the other stuff, is probably junk, so don't include all that other stuff when making your decision. That won't be all you need, and even if it does last more than a couple of weeks, you probably won't want oto use it anyway.

This sounds like a scam. Where did you find out about these packages?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:08 PM   #3

This is local craigslist items. D3000 is sold as kit. Originally guy wanted $400, but agreed on $350. He is need of money. D80 is body only for $325 and has about 10000 actuations and lens is separate transaction for $75 had UV filter sense he got it. Let me worried about scam or not. I just want to know with $50 difference will I get me something or not. And you are right that extra stuff is probably worthless except the bag.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepa71 View Post
This is local craigslist items. D3000 is sold as kit. Originally guy wanted $400, but agreed on $350. He is need of money. D80 is body only for $325 and has about 10000 actuations and lens is separate transaction for $75 had UV filter sense he got it. Let me worried about scam or not. I just want to know with $50 difference will I get me something or not. And you are right that extra stuff is probably worthless except the bag.
Buying a used DSLR from an unknown source is always a gamble. Of the two, although the D80 is probably a better camera in terms of features, it is also almost 4 years old, and with age comes more potential problems. The D3k is newer, but is less feature rich (which may or may not matter to a beginner). But for $100 more, you could get a brand new D3k and greater peace of mind and a warranty should anything go wrong. For $59 more, you could get a refurb unit from Adorama (http://www.adorama.com/INKD3000RA.html), that at least carries some warranty. I'm perfectly happy buying used lenses, but am always leery of used bodies. I say save a little longer and buy new, or if you absolutely need the best price, get a refurb.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:56 PM   #5

The one you have in your link is body only with lens it is another $100 which makes it 508 vs 350. I have a guy in the local camera store who will check camera and lens for $10 and only after that I will buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Buying a used DSLR from an unknown source is always a gamble. Of the two, although the D80 is probably a better camera in terms of features, it is also almost 4 years old, and with age comes more potential problems. The D3k is newer, but is less feature rich (which may or may not matter to a beginner). But for $100 more, you could get a brand new D3k and greater peace of mind and a warranty should anything go wrong. For $59 more, you could get a refurb unit from Adorama (http://www.adorama.com/INKD3000RA.html), that at least carries some warranty. I'm perfectly happy buying used lenses, but am always leery of used bodies. I say save a little longer and buy new, or if you absolutely need the best price, get a refurb.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:07 PM   #6
Administrator

That was a kit with extras (extra battery, camera bag, memory card). They have a D3000 body only for $319.95 with free shipping:

http://www.adorama.com/INKD3000R.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:10 PM   #7

But no lens, look closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That was a kit with extras (extra battery, camera bag, memory card). They have a D3000 body only for $319.95 with free shipping:

http://www.adorama.com/INKD3000R.html
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:21 PM   #8
Administrator

I see that. But, I'd be very careful buying Nikon gear.

That he mentions having something like a "2.5x Telephoto lens" is a warning sign (as a lot of Ebay kits are from vendors that sell kits with junk front mounted teleconverters in them). Most of the cheaper deals on you find Ebay are Gray Market (i.e., not intended for sale in the U.S.). Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market camera, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:34 PM   #9
Administrator

IOW, if you do risk buying a used camera, I'd make sure it was purchased from an authorized Nikon USA Dealer if you want to be able to get it serviced if it breaks without sending it to Japan.

If it's gray market, Nikon USA is going to refuse to service it (even if you're willing to pay them to fix it). Of course, for around $300, you may not care (if it breaks, throw it away and buy another one). I'm just letting you know that they're very strict about not servicing gray market cameras (and they'll know by the serial number).
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:07 PM   #10

Thank you

I appreciate every suggestions you gave me, I really do. So can you suggest which one should I get?

Thanks