Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:58 PM   #11
BDD

Now even if you were (or are) a "competent sports photographer"...I still cannot see the justification for a D3 body if you didn't NEED a "pro body" to make a living with. Even from a performance standpoint. How many legendary sports (e.g. sports illustrated) photographers have shot those award winning shots with "lesser" camera bodies (film or digital)? Hmmm...

What the D3 bodies DO offer than the others do not are 2 CF card slots. Great for making a backup of images shot should Card A fail. Or should you as a working photographer need to spend less time swapping cards in and out (using both cards for the one shoot). And the rated 4200 shots per charge with the D3 battery. Reducing the time used to swap batteries ). And loads of customizability. Items only veteran working photographer would properly utilize, truly need and value.

So unless you're a working freelance photographer (who is doing work for a major publication that does not loan out camera bodies) that "requires" a pro body it should never be about the gear but technique/experience.

Last edited by BDD; Mar 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:08 PM   #12

found a d2hs for 560 on ebay, i may be cheap, and eat good for a year :P
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:34 AM   #13

Meh, i just realized i have no need for it, so im going to pick up a 50mm 1.8, and the tonika 11-16 2.8, and maybe some other cool stuff :tup:

Last edited by pbjunkiee; Mar 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:09 PM   #14

You get the D3 (or D700) when you are running a business as a photographer AND can write of the cost on your taxes through depretiation. As a non-professional, you look at what will meet needs without breaking the bank - and act as a backup camera when you turn pro and get the write-off.

Honestly, it sounds as if you are in love with the "bling" but status only goes so far, and never sells stock photos. Skill sells stock photos or gets you hired, etc.

Now, if you absolutley, positively NEED full frame, get the D700, multiple SD900/600 flashes, and some glass all for the cost of the D3. Otherwise, get the D300s and when the time comes, you will be thinking "Do I go Full Frame or really step up to medium format!"

Last edited by tizeye; Mar 14, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:32 AM   #15

Already do medium format for school