Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 PM   #1

Default Jeff's Nikon D3s Charity fund...

I wish

but i have been saving up about 3/4's of all my paychecks for a little (the other 4th has been going to film and developing chems.) , but i am a very far ways away from 4 grand. hopefully by the time i get close the D4 will come out and the 3 will drop in price.

What i wanted to know, is there anyone on here that uses any varriation of the D3, be it the x or s, and is it worth the money??

Thanks,
Jeff
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i do not own any, besides the money factor i shoot canon.

however, they are the top of the line right now in their classes.

the d3s has the most reliable AF and the best high iso performance there is right now, its pretty amazing. definately the choice for low light and for any action for those that want the best of the best.

the d3x currently has the most detailed imager of any camera (until canon's 1dsmkiv) and does pretty good at the higher iso's as well.

so yea, they are worth every penny for those that need the best. is it worth that much to you, that is up to you.

for a fraction of the price the D700 will do nearly everything the d3s will do. and if you don't print out huge pictures, i doubt very much you will ever notice the difference.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
I wish

what i wanted to know, is there anyone on here that uses any varriation of the D3, be it the x or s, and is it worth the money??

Thanks,
Jeff
I don't know of anyone here that has a D3(s)..NHL might. I'm almost certain no one has ponied up 8k for the D3x.

As to whether it is worth it is a tough question. I don't think it is unless you are a working pro. The D700 is much cheaper and nearly as good without the bulk. You also have to remember, that you will need excellent, pro level glass to get the most of any full frame camera, so the body is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of spending. You'll likely need about 10k for the D3s and probably 13-15k for the D3x. If you have unlimited funds, then by all means go for it. Otherwise, for the average Joe with a passion for photography, I think the D300s is the most practical solution for an all around camera. Even that may be more than what is needed. I have a D300 and only use it for sports and paid gigs (the occasional wedding) because it is just too big and heavy to tote everywhere. I can't imagine carrying a big D3 around.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:02 AM   #4

Rj, off the wall question,

do you live in pensacola?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Rj, off the wall question,

do you live in pensacola?
No, I'm in Northern Kentucky, just outside of Cincinnati,Ohio. Never even been to Pensacola
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:17 AM   #6
BDD

I would side with RJ's comment. That unless you're a "working pro" buying a D3S most likely would not be suited to your needs. On the other hand if you were a "working pro" you could borrow cameras and equipment from your newspaper. Unless you were not a "full-time staff photographer" and a freelancer. Then again, if you were a "working pro" you'd know if it was worth it.

Lots of people get caught up in the myth that it's the camera that takes the photo when really it's the person behind the lens. Picking up a D3S won't automatically give you "better photos". If you don't have the fundamentals down and an ounce of talent your photos will look the same as they did when you were shooting with a point and shoot. You see this a lot in photo galleries (e.g. www.pbase.com). People with D3S cameras that put out pure trash. Or not quality photos you'd automatically associate with some one who bought a D3S. I've seen tons of better photos from D70 & D90 owners.

Google "Nikonians Imagedoctors podcast". Download the most recent where they interview Bob Krist. One of the top photographers in the US. He's shot for National Geographic Traveler, Travel & Leisure...etc. He's been in the biz for decades but choses to shoot with DX bodies (less weight...he works alone). And obviously because he knows he can get the quality of images he needs.

So if even a seasoned photographer like Bob Krist doesn't think moving up to a D700 or a D3 body is "worth it" or necessary then...

What gets me are the idiots out there either with too much money and no common sense who buy the D3 bodies just for bragging rights. Using the supplied "Nikon D3" strap to tell everyone what kind of DSLR he's got around his neck. "Steal my camera!!" LOL! Saw this last when I was walking around Huntington Library grounds in San Marino, California. In 2006. Though in this case he had a D2X (same size body as the D3's) hanging from his neck like a tourist.

I'm waiting around for the replacement for the D700. Which I hope will be based on the D3S and will offer the ability to shoot 1080p video clips like the Canon 5D Mark II. And better ISO performance.

Last edited by BDD; Mar 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:10 PM   #7

well i am starting to save up, im going for it...

Going to get the D3, not the s, hopefully by the time i can get enough the D4 will be out, and there will be more used 3's cheaper.

have 800 now, going to be a long year :/
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post

Lots of people get caught up in the myth that it's the camera that takes the photo when really it's the person behind the lens. Picking up a D3S won't automatically give you "better photos". If you don't have the fundamentals down and an ounce of talent your photos will look the same as they did when you were shooting with a point and shoot. You see this a lot in photo galleries (e.g. www.pbase.com). People with D3S cameras that put out pure trash. Or not quality photos you'd automatically associate with some one who bought a D3S. I've seen tons of better photos from D70 & D90 owners.
Now this is interesting and both true and not-true at the same time. The true part: camera body alone is NOT enough. You need the right skills, the right "other" gear - right lens, tripod, flash/strobe, reflectors, etc. etc. etc.

Now here's the untrue part: the implication that body won't make a difference. Based on some of the OPs posts he has an interest in sports. Without doubt, I can say that 1000% the body CAN make a difference. IF you've got the right "other" gear, IF you know how to shoot the sport in question and "IF" you have the right access.

Now, sticking strictly with sports, if you want to take photos up a notch you could ask the question: what is the best way to do that? What is the best way to spend money that will have the best return-on-investment. You need to get into specifics to help answer that question.

Now, for the hobbyist sports shooter, what does a higher end body buy you? First and foremost a more accurate focus system. Second, if you go D700/D3 and especially D3/S - better high ISO performance. Third - IMO -viewfinder. Now, there are a number of other features like build, true weather-sealing, built-in-grip, audio-tagging, etc...

BUT, let's take the 2 basic attributes that sports shooters are interested in: High ISO performance. D700 will be a huge step up. Even from a D300. It's a fantastic high ISO performer that anyone shooting low light sports could benefit from that would immediately improve high ISO photos. Now, if you're photos are garbage anyway they'll still be garbage. But given well exposed, sharp photos - the D700 would immediately provide something better.

Next is the focus system. Now, here is where you have to read what Nikon shooters who shoot D300, D700 and D3 say. Basically the D300 and D700 share the ARRAY the D3 uses but not the same brains. In other words the focus is NOT as fast and accurate on those models as it is on the D3. So, the breakdown in very simple terms is:
D300 offers a focus upgrade over what you're using
D700 takes that same focus upgrade and adds a huge high ISO performance boost
d3 takes what the d700 did and adds an AF accuracy/speed upgrade
d3s takes the d3 and improves the high ISO even more.

There is no credible argument that the d3 won't help a competent sports photographer produce better photos than d300. The question becomes - what is the best way to spend your money? THAT depends on what you want to shoot and what gear you have.

And, of course, there's the matter of - what your goal is? Are you looking to make money right now from your photography or just learn? When are you looking to make money from your gear? What are you going to be doing to make money? These are important because they go to return-on-investment. Unless you've already got an arsenal of pro glass, it's unlikely you'd generate enough revenue to justify the benefit of a D3s over a d700. Figure either the D3s or D700 could last you 4 years. It's a matter of amortizing the price difference over those 4 years and asking: Will I make that much more from the D3s than the D700 over the 4 years?

But, if you wanted to shoot say Hockey and you already have a 70-200 2.8 VR if you ask - will the D700 get you much better results than the d300? Absolutely. If you're shooting daytime sports - maybe not so much - because you have to be REALLY careful on lenses for the full frames. With only 12mp you don't have a lot of cropping ability so the reach benefit of the d300 outdoors can out-weigh the high iso performance of the d700. So you can't get away with 'short' lenses with the d700 or d3s outdoors. You need to use longer lenses than you would on the d300.

So it's not a cut-and-dry decision on which camera is "best".
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:52 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
I wish

but i have been saving up about 3/4's of all my paychecks for a little (the other 4th has been going to film and developing chems.) , but i am a very far ways away from 4 grand. hopefully by the time i get close the D4 will come out and the 3 will drop in price.

What i wanted to know, is there anyone on here that uses any varriation of the D3, be it the x or s, and is it worth the money??

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff:

I have 1 question and 1 suggestion:

Question: If you are saving 3/4 of your paycheck towards your D3 fund and the remaining 1/4 for film developing chemicals, how are you paying for rent and food .

Suggestion: In addition to the valid points made by others in this thread, you should consider renting a D3 (or variant) for a week or two and experience it for yourself. This is likely to answer your question which only you are qualified to answer "...is it worth the money."
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:21 PM   #10

i go to college on a full ride scholarship

get 2 meals a day room and board, and classes

and i have slowed down on my film usage, got kinda out of hand....