Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:27 PM   #1

Default D40X help please

I am going to skating at the Olympics tomorrow. I will take my D40X and have the 18-200 VR. I am assuming there will be a no flash restriction. I am not well versed in using my camera. Is it the ISO I should change to get inside photos with no flash? Any help or tips would be appreciated. I am in row 15. Thanks.
Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

No idea what the lighting will be like but I'm sure you will be wishing there was a bit more.

Get the ISO to the max and the aperture as wide (low f number) as possible. Use manual exposure if you can as the ice will try to cause you to be under exposed, if not use aperture priority with a bit of +ve exposure compensation as required.

Something else that can look great in skating is to slow the shutter speed right down to say between 1/5s and 1/30s and capture the motion blur.

There might not be enough light, there might even be a policy on the length of your lens, and also you might miss a lot of the action as you are trying to shoot. I missed most of Wimbledon one year as I decided to photograph it. Had some good shots, but didn't get the full experience, so depends what you want from the day..... don't watch it all through the lens
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:00 PM   #3

set it to m

set the shutter to 1/640 or 1/800 if possible

apature at the lowest, im guessing its 3.5-5.6 for you, or its a 2.8

then adjust the iso to meet exsposure.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
set it to m

The problem with this method is you still may not have enough light to get the exposure right, resulting in a bunch of underexposed, dark shots. I think you are better off, shooting in aperture priority, picking the highest iso and letting the camera pick the shutter speed. Hopefully it will be enough to stop motion, but it may not. The as Mark, said the ice will trick the camera a bit so you will likely need to apply up to a stop or more of compensation.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:48 PM   #5

id get there a bit early to get your setting all squared away, so you can get as many pictures as possible.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:02 PM   #6

Thank you all. I have written down your suggestions. This is the ice dance and Canada is in first place. Go Canada Go!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:16 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
set it to m

Even if it were a f2.8 lens, the usable ISO is 1600 so I would be amazed if it was possible to get more than 1/320s let alone the 1/640 or 1/800, couple that to being f5.6 at the long end then it isn't going to be possible to get so high. I've not experienced Olympic lighting, and I'm sure it is very good, but not sure how bright we are talking.

You can't use shutter priority in these conditions (well you can, but what you can't do is just set the desired speed and get the right exposure when working low light), this is where Av comes in as it will reduce the shutter as needed.

I'm really looking forward to see how you get on as it would be great to have some ice dance shots here.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:18 AM   #8

or, if you have a local photo store, they may rent bodies, i know the main store i go to rents both glass and bodies :P

but good luck, and push your camera to its limits
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:23 PM   #9

This is the best I could do. I really do not understand about the settings. Now I understand how important it is to learn these things. I could not tell on the screen the amount of noise in the photo. I have a lot and will spend some time trying to edit them later. Anyway I did get these shots of our Olympic Gold Medalists which was quite a thrill. Thanks for your help.

Don't know why image did not work. Par for the course these days for me!!

Last edited by Shari; Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM. Reason: photo did not work
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:34 PM   #10

I will try once more