Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:06 PM   #11
Super Moderator

that sounds amiss,

there should be a VR switch located just below the AF-M switch. should say VR on/off.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:09 PM   #12
Administrator

As far as I can tell, the only way Nikon Europe bundles that kit (D5000 + 18-55mm lens) is with the VR version of it.

http://www3.europe-nikon.com/product.../overview.html

Was this an Authorized Nikon Europe Dealer and did the listing show a VR lens was included, or did you go with one of the off shore dealers selling it cheaper?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:17 PM   #13

I'm from UK and i bought from Argos which is a popular store here.

But their site does not say VR Lens...it only says 18-55mm

OH GOD! Pls don't tell me that i've got the wrong type of camera again?

I've just taken some shots and although some images are good, there are a few which are quite blurry and dark.

Last edited by amateurman; Feb 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM.
amateurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:49 PM   #14
Administrator

I see the listing and it doesn't mention a VR lens being included, which means that's likely their bundle versus the one usually offered by Nikon.

As for images coming out dark and blurry, that's probably something you're doing wrong (for example, trying to take photos indoors without a flash). ;-)

I'd post a downsized sample if you want some tips on what you could do differently to improve it.

The overwhelming vast majority of the time, there is nothing wrong with the camera when users have those types of problems, and swapping cameras isn't going to help a thing. ;-)

I would probably rethink the price paid for that kit with a standard versus VR lens though (as it appears they have a 30 day money back guarantee from what I can see of their listings), since other vendors (for example, jessops.com) appear to be selling it for the same price including a VR lens. VR isn't as important for wider angle lenses, and it doesn't help with blur from subject movement either (it only helps with blur from camera shake). But, I'd probably hesitate to spend as much for a kit including a standard versus VR lens if the VR kits are selling for the same price elsewhere.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:52 PM   #15

above image has come out blurry

the above image is much sharper.

I used:-

mode = P
wb = flash
iso = 200
f4.5

it says on the receipt that the camera is excluded on the 30 day guarantee

the question is does the VR Lens make a huge difference?

Last edited by amateurman; Feb 25, 2010 at 5:12 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:15 PM   #16
Administrator

Yes.. I see the footnote at the bottom of the listing on their web site that it's excluded. Grrrr

Optically, the lenses test about the same. So, the advantage you'd have with the VR version is when you were shooting in conditions where camera shake could be a problem (i.e., slower shutter speeds). It's not as important for wider focal lengths (since camera shake is magnified as focal lengths get longer), and it won't help with blur from subject movement. But, it can come in handy for still subjects when you can't (or don't want to) use a tripod in less than optimum lighting.

The VR version of the lens is more expensive and I'd probably be a bit ticked off about paying as much for a kit with a non-VR lens as dealers are selling the kit with a VR lens for. For example, see this listing at Jessops where they have the Nikon D5000 kit with the 18-55mm VR lens listed at 529.00 (plus you can get a 50 cash back from Nikon).

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6137/show.html

I see where Argos does show up in the list of online dealers on the Nikon Europe site here:

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/lo...ers.page?lang=

So, if it were me, I might be inclined to contact Argos customer service and argue that the listing should have been for a kit including a VR lens, since that's the way the Nikon Europe site shows the available kit for it here:

http://www3.europe-nikon.com/product.../overview.html

IOW, as large as Argos appears to be, they might be inclined to swap it out and/or give you a price break versus getting any bad press and/or complaints from Nikon (if you contacted them about it) over a listing that could be easily misinterpreted, since Nikon's site shows a kit including a VR lens. ;-)

Now, that shouldn't stop them from offering a kit with any lens they want to. But, IMO, they should have made it much clearer that it was their kit versus a Nikon kit if they're going to sell it that way, especially since the Nikon bundled kit includes a VR lens from what I can tell from the Nikon Europe web site.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:31 PM   #17
Administrator

As for your images, are you sure you're using Autofocus? The EXIF readers I look at those images with are unable to determine focus point information, which implies you may have the AF/MF switch in the MF position.

Make sure you're using Autofocus and half press the shutter button on an area with good contrast to get a focus lock (watching the AF lock indication in your viewfinder) before pressing the shutter button the rest of the way down.

Also, you may find that selecting a specific focus point (versus letting the camera select it for you) can help with focus accuracy. Your camera allows you to set up Autofocus in a variety of ways, including using a center focus point, letting the camera select the focus point, and letting you select a specific focus point.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:35 PM   #18
Super Moderator

grrrr....

i hate that kind of business practice. they sell their own kit with an inferior non-VR lens for the same price as others sell the VR kit hoping unsuspecting people will not notice the difference until too late. and then have an exclusion clause preventing anything from being done about it.

i would be quite upset if i paid the same price for a non-VR kit myself.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:10 PM   #19
Administrator

Yep...

That's exactly what they appear to be doing, and I'd be inclined to do something about it, starting with contacting their customer service department, and then going on to Nikon about it, especially since Nikon Europe's page for online dealers says this:

"We have recommended these online Nikon dealers because we feel that they offer the best service, ease of use and security."

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/lo...ers.page?lang=

Customers are going to assume it's the same kit with a VR lens shown on Nikon's web site (and the one you see reviewed on popular web sties and magazines), since that's the way Nikon bundles that kit, and many users don't even realize that Nikon makes a non VR version of that lens.

It may not be illegal to sell it that way. But, IMO, it's down right misleading and takes advantage of buyers that may not be reading the "fine print", assuming that a dealer recommended by Nikon isn't going to pull those kinds of stunts.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:02 AM   #20

i'm very depressed as this is the 2nd time i'm gonna end up having the wrong type of kit. I have two ways of going about this situation:-

1. I can argue that they were supposed to sell the VR Lens and they may or may not do anything about it.

2. Or i can be as evil as them and say that when i opened the box, i never found any lens inside.

@ Jim - Is that AF-MF switch the one on the actual lens that says "A-M"? if so, its already on the A position.