Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:22 PM   #21

Default Floor -- Closests to the viewing area

This was the floor routine. It was the closest to the viewing area in Milton.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt 4647.txt (3.7 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Mar 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:49 PM   #22

Your images didn't make it. I'm guessing they were too big. You need to reduce images to about 800x600 and no larger than 253.9KB. See How I post a photo to the forum
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:15 PM   #23

Default Beam - On the other side of the gym

The beam is on the other side of the gym. So to get Madelyn this large I had to crop in a lot. Limited to ISO1600 and on a 6 mega-pixel camera, I'm pretty happy with this.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt 4717.txt (3.7 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Mar 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:33 PM   #24

Default Current thinking.

Well, after that one day of practise, this is what I'm thinking as far as the meets.

1) White Balance - I tried taking a reference shot of a grey card, but I guess there was all sorts of light tempertures there. I'm thinking of just going with auto white balance and hope for the best. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out on Sunday.

2) Focusing - I kept trying to compose the shot in the view finder. With distant shots, Madelyn would be kinda in focus. But when she was close she'd be really out of focus. I ended up practising on just using the center autofocus point on continuous and just making sure Madelyn was right in the center of the viewfinder. Those shots, she came out relatively in focus. I'll shoot with lots of room around her and crop later.

3) Metering - Yeah. The D70s was good. I tried spot metering, but it seemed inconsistent. I'm thinking this might be because my daughters suit that day was half dark (black) and half light (grey). So whatever the camera was pointed at, was what it metered on. When I switched to center weighted it got more consistent. It got caught up with the backlighting from a really bright window. So I'll just have to check the shots and remember to compensate for different areas of the gym.

4) Limited to 28-105mm - Since Madelyn is going to 3 meets, I'm hoping that I'll luck out and each meet with have a different aperatus closests to the crowd area. I'll take my 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 just in case one of these gyms has lots of light, but I'm not holding my breath.

5) Never tried the monopod.

4) Limited to ISO1600 with some noise - I'm going to start looking at what options (ie. software) I can use to do some after the fact noise reduction on the images. (Any suggestions greatly appreciated.)

5) Limited to 6 megapixels. I'm going to see if after I reduce the noise I can up-sample? these images? (Again. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.)

Once again. Thanks everyone!

And any further advise is still greatly appreciated!

Take care,
Glen
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:47 PM   #25

There's no EXIF data, so it's hard to suggest anything.

The shots are very good, but seem a little underexposed. You might want to enter some exposure compensation next time, but that would make the shutter speeds slower which you don't want. You might be better off doing something in post processing.

The white balance doesn't look too bad, but there might be room for improvement. And auto white balance doesn't handle sodium vapor lights very well.

Yes, spot metering would not have worked well. It rarely does for clothing, especially uniforms.

Your 18-200 would be useless. There would have to be at least 4 times as much light in order for it to do as well as you used, and that's not going to happen.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:34 PM   #26

Hello TCav,

Good point about the Exif data. I copied it from the original JPGs and attached to the above posts as text files.

It looks like the 1st image I had it at f3.5 & ISO1000. (Originally when I had the problem with the focus, I thought I'd try pulling it back from f2.8 and see what happened. I also played with pulling it back from ISO1600 to see what happened to the noise. I'd forgotten I tried that out.)

Oh, yeah. And just beyond the beam in the 2nd shot is where that really bright window was. I did +1 exp. comp., but probably could have gone more?

"Your 18-200 would be useless." -- For this, yeah. <grin>

Take care,
Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Mar 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:23 PM   #27

Anything you do to the exposure settings will lengthen the shutter speed. You should keep the aperture at f/2.8, and set the ISO so you get a reasonably fast shutter speed. Dropping the aperture from f/2.8 to f/3.5 will increase the shutter speed by 1/3, and dropping the ISO from 1600 to 1000 will increase the shutter speed by 2/3. Together, they would have doubled your exposure time.