Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:45 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
At 3200iso, you should get very good results. And if you crop in, it will still need to be 100% to notice the noise. I see these shots were taken at f4 1/60 sec at 1600iso. You should get better results at 3200is at f4 and it will give you a much faster shutter speed about 1/120 so it will prevent the blurring in the movements.
I'll disagree. 1/120 second is nowhere near fast enough to prevent blur.

As a general rule, you'll want to go for at least 1/400 second, and even then, you can still get some blur with rapid hand/foot movement, depending on how much you're filling the frame, direction of movement and desired print/viewing sizes).

Even two and three year olds moving can cause motion blur at even faster shutter speeds. For example, note the hand blur from nothing more than a child waving in this one that was taken at 1/160 second:

The OP was already using ISO 1600. The last photo the OP referred to as "one of the better photos" was taking using shutter speed of only 1/30 second at f/5 and ISO 1600.

If you used ISO 3200, that's still only going to get you around 1/60 second in that same lighting with that aperture setting for that exposure (and the aperture was wide open with that lens for the the amount the OP was zooming in). IOW, ISO 3200 would still not allow your to freeze any subject movement with those types of settings in that lighting (the shutter speeds would still be too slow). ISO 6400 would only get you to around 1/120 second with everything else the same.

Even if you go by the first photo at 1/60 second, f/4 and ISO 1600 for judging exposure, ISO 3200 would only get you 1/120, and even ISO 6400 would still show motion blur with any rapid hand/foot movement (only getting you up close to 1/250, which is still too slow for something like rapid dancing if you're filling the frame much with your subjects). If he zoomed in more, the widest available aperture would be dimmer.

So, you'd need to learn to time your shots and take them when the subjects are relatively still (which is what happened with that last photo, since any subject movement at shutter speeds that slow would result in motion blur).

The OP's lenses are really not bright enough for indoor shooting of moving subjects without a flash, especially with any rapid movement (i.e., something like a dance), even with even higher ISO speeds.

I'd suggest getting an external flash for that type of subject and lighting (unless the OP wants to invest in brighter lenses and learn to use them, as Depth of Field is going to be shallower at wider aperture settings).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:48 PM   #12

I have a D90.

I get too much noise at ISO 1600, and I lose too much detail with NR on.

Do with that what you want.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:56 PM   #13

Okay we were looking at different shots, since I saw the shot was at 1/60 already, going to 3200iso and 1/120 will give better result, and 6400iso will get you to about 1/250 form the one I looked at. Both will be less blur then 1600iso at 1/60, but a external flash like a sb600 would help allot. And less then getting an AF-s 50mm

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM. Reason: typo
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:08 PM   #14

They were shot at 1/60", 1/40" and 1/30", all at ISO 1600. ISO 3200 would have made that 1/120", 1/80" and 1/60", which would still be too slow. Using ISO 6400 instead would have resulted in 1/250", 1/160" and 1/120", which is still too slow.

These were shot in a school gymnasium, so bounce flash wouldn't have worked, and direct flash would have given the photos a 'Velvet Elvis' effect, where the closer subjects would have been properly exposed but the background would have been dark, possibly even black. The best solution is a large aperture lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:13 PM   #15

But the problem with is there is no 85mm option, as the ranges were 62mm
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:11 PM   #16

This first shot is of my son flying when playing indoor soccer.
This is taken with aparteur mode at f4, Iso 900 and 1/320 exposure time.
Itīs taken with a Nikon 55-200 f4-5,6. Itīs not the best quality photo because the bad light in the sports hall, but okey I think.

The second shot is of my oldest son who is the goalie on the photo.
Itīs also taken in bad light in a sports hall. Aparteur mode at f3,8,
Iso 2000, and exposure time 1/250. Itīs not the best quality in this photo either, but I donīt think the noise is disturbing at all. Itīs taken with the Nikon 18-70 f3,5-4,5 lens.
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:29 AM   #17

Hello,

The other thing to remember is that sometimes motion blur is ok, just as long as the important faces are relatively blur free. To me it adds implied motion so that a photo, such as yours from the dance, don't look like everyone is standing still.

I think your photos are great and most of the faces are relatively blur free.

When you do try out the high iso and aperture priority, don't forget to try getting motion blur shots as well to see which ones you like.

I guess, when shooting kids in motion, just shoot lots and lots of shots and be happy with the ones that turn out.

Take care,
Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Mar 28, 2010 at 6:39 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:26 PM   #18

Thanks everyone I will try the aperture and the ISO. Hopefully I can get better pics. There were lots that I had to delete as my sons face was so blury. It is hard when they are all running around, lighting is poor and my skills, well my skills are just not up to par, lol..
lovemyrottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:32 PM   #19

You are trying which is the important thing, and the board is her to help.