Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:52 AM   #1

Default Does Nikon's camera display look dated?

verses

Canon's is alot clearer to read imo. I also like their color scheme better. Nikon's font and interface colors seems to have a retro look.
But the newer D5000 and D3000 camera menus have been restyled.

Opinions?

Last edited by NothingRare; Mar 30, 2010 at 2:59 AM.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post

verses

Canon's is alot clearer to read imo. I also like their color scheme better. Nikon's font and interface colors seems to have a retro look.
But the newer D5000 and D3000 camera menus have been restyled.

Opinions?
I guess it's a matter of preference. i don't find the styling all that bad, and don't really prefer one over the other. Nikon's color scheme can be changed..there are three colors, blue, black and orange. In the D5k/D3k link you show, the graphic screen is show. This is supposed to be more visual (it show size of aperture as you stop up and down). You can switch back to the classic style as well.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:36 AM   #3

To me a camera display needs to be functional more than it needs to be pretty. I guess you could argue that the Canon display is cleaner, making it easier to read and in that regard, it would be better.

On the other hand if you're more used to using Nikons, the display mimics the older Nikon LCD displays. For a photographer who's used to that interface, this would probably be a benefit.

At first glance, I don't like the D3000 and D5000 displays. They seem to take the GUI a little too far. Again, to me the diaply has to work well more than it has to look nice. Though I guess I could get used to it.
scaredpoet is offline   Reply With Quote