Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:28 PM   #1

Default D90 rattle

Hi Folks,

I've posted this cam in the wrong forum before - so i'm sorry for double posting it.

I've had this cam for 4 months now. This weekend I've noticed that there is a bit of rattle when slightly shaking the cam. It's slightly louder when the lens is off - so seems to be coming from the body.

It's kind of odd. This doesn't seem to have any impact on the the camera as it's working fine. The rattling is not very significant, I have to be in a very quiet room to hear it.

I didn't find anything on this site, but when i did quick Google search I found mixed feedback. Some people say that there is something wrong and some say it's perfectly fine as it's most likely an orientation sensor in the body.

Please let me know whether I should be worried about it.
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:43 PM   #2

My D90 doesn't rattle.

Does the rattle depend on the direction you shake it?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:37 PM   #3

i'll have to try that this evening when I get home.

By shaking i don't mean shaking it light a mad man. :-) But i suppose i tried up and down.

When I noticed it I called my buddy that has had D70 for the last couple of years and he told me that nothing rattles in his. but then couple hours later he called me and it turned out that it did, but he just never noticed it until I pointed it out.

Kind of odd.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post
Hi Folks,

I've posted this cam in the wrong forum before - so i'm sorry for double posting it.

I've had this cam for 4 months now. This weekend I've noticed that there is a bit of rattle when slightly shaking the cam. It's slightly louder when the lens is off - so seems to be coming from the body.

It's kind of odd. This doesn't seem to have any impact on the the camera as it's working fine. The rattling is not very significant, I have to be in a very quiet room to hear it.

I didn't find anything on this site, but when i did quick Google search I found mixed feedback. Some people say that there is something wrong and some say it's perfectly fine as it's most likely an orientation sensor in the body.

Why are you shaking the camera
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Why are you shaking the camera
To hear it rattle. Why else?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:30 PM   #6

rjseeney: I'm not shaking it like a mad man trying to see what happens.

I can hear the rattle when i tilt the camera up and down holding it horizontally. I tried it vertically and I don't hear it at all.

Could it be the orientation sensor???
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:33 PM   #7

Quote:
rjseeney: I'm not shaking it like a mad man trying to see what happens.

I can hear the rattle when i tilt the camera up and down holding it horizontally. I tried it vertically and I don't hear it at all.

I was just kidding. I don't own a D90 but I've owned 4 different Nikon bodies and can't remember any of them rattling. That being said, i don't remember shaking them either. With a mirror and a shutter and other moving parts, I'm not surprised there is rattling inside.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Just a thought, but it could be the focusing screen shifting. As you look through the viewfinder and tilt the camera up and down, do you see the focus points and the certer-weighted metering circle shift? These are engraved on the focusing screen, and if you see them shift, then the focusing screen is moving, and that's the rattle you're hearing.

Quote:
If it were the orientation sensor, it would rattle whichever way you held it. And the orientation sensor doesn't have any moving parts.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Folks,

as you mentiond it, i shook mine and it does make a very slight rattling sound, but as far as i am aware, it woks fine.

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:54 AM   #10

Default Nikon Rattle Syndrome (NRS)

Quote:
Hi Folks,

This weekend I've noticed that there is a bit of rattle when slightly shaking the cam.
I'm surprised that someone here hasn't already mentioned it, but Nikon DSLRs are notorious for a small rattling as you described. It's caused by the onboard camera flash, and/or support struts & stuff in the camera. Both my D70 & D200 do the same thing. I did a google search way back when I first noticed it and it was commonly reported back then. I'm surprised the D90 still suffers from this, if indeed it's the same "problem". It doesn't bother me a bit anymore...

Wayne K.
Goodyear, AZ
wayneproperties is offline   Reply With Quote