Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:41 AM   #1
Dig

Default Nik D80 Hate It

Hi I have a Nikon D80 for a couple of years with the nikor 18 - 135 lens. When I first got it the pictures seems to be quite beautiful. But shortly after the picture seemed to be awful.

They are not sharp, crisp or clear. I had sent it back to Nikon once already and it returned the same way.

Recently my neighbor get an inexpensive Kodak p&S and showed me some pictures he took with it of some deer in the back yard and the photos snapped. The colors were vibrant, picture clear, sharp focus. They were outrageous and he doesn't know anything about the camera except the auto mode.

Anyone ever have this problem or any idea why this may be a problem or any ideas on what I can try to improve it (have tried different in camera settings).

At this point I am saving to get something new and when I have enough money saved I will probably give the D80 away.

Thanks
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post
Hi I have a Nikon D80 for a couple of years with the nikor 18 - 135 lens. When I first got it the pictures seems to be quite beautiful. But shortly after the picture seemed to be awful.

They are not sharp, crisp or clear. I had sent it back to Nikon once already and it returned the same way.

Recently my neighbor get an inexpensive Kodak p&S and showed me some pictures he took with it of some deer in the back yard and the photos snapped. The colors were vibrant, picture clear, sharp focus. They were outrageous and he doesn't know anything about the camera except the auto mode.

Anyone ever have this problem or any idea why this may be a problem or any ideas on what I can try to improve it (have tried different in camera settings).

At this point I am saving to get something new and when I have enough money saved I will probably give the D80 away.

Thanks
Without seeing examples it's tough to say what, if anything may be wrong with the camera. I used to own a D80 and the only issue i ever had with it was inconsistent metering. The 18-135 is know for being a sharp lens (although it has other issues, namely problems with purple fringing and distortion). One of the big determining factors of sharpness is technique, and with proper technique all current dslr's should give pretty good sharpness.

As far as color, post processing is pretty much required for all dslr's...I've never been completely happy with any straight out of camera results...nearly all the images could use a touch of sharpening and adjustment of levels and color. I tend to dial in camera settings back and increase color, saturation, levels and contrast on my own.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

yea RJ covered it. DSLR's output is "less processed" than you will get out point and shoots. this is on purpose at it gives you more latitude in post-processing to get the results you are after.

you will need to learn to do some basic post-procesing to get the images you desire.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:43 PM   #4
Dig

Thanks guys. I take all my photos in raw mode and use PS CS4 to process them. I have been using the 35mm format since the early 70s. Owned mostly Canons over the years.

Matter of fact I have an old Canon S2 IS that I mostly use because it turns consistently better pictures and easier to post process. My Nikon sits in the bag unless there is something big to do.

I am not saying it takes bad photos just takes a lot to get what I want out of it, when I think it should be easier.

Saving up for either the D300S or wait a little longer and get the Canon 5D.

Thanks again
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:58 PM   #5

Your lens may be a bit out of calibration. That can cause the lack of sharpness.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post
Thanks guys. I take all my photos in raw mode and use PS CS4 to process them. I have been using the 35mm format since the early 70s. Owned mostly Canons over the years.

Matter of fact I have an old Canon S2 IS that I mostly use because it turns consistently better pictures and easier to post process. My Nikon sits in the bag unless there is something big to do.

I am not saying it takes bad photos just takes a lot to get what I want out of it, when I think it should be easier.

Saving up for either the D300S or wait a little longer and get the Canon 5D.

Thanks again
I don't think getting the d300s will make it any easier. I went from the D80 to the d300 and it didn't produce immediately better results. You're dealing with higher resolution which is much less forgiving of errors in technique or shortcomings in lenses. I quickly got rid of the 18-135 when I got the d300 as my results with it were much worse with the D300. You will be getting all the sensor improvements so IQ should get a little better from the get go, but upgrading your body rarely gets you significantly better images. You are much better off upgrading glass or your support/technique.

The canon 5d will be even less forgiving and require even better glass (pro level).
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:45 PM   #7

RJ,

You do not need pro level glass like L lenses with the 5DMKII to get great photo. You can get some good EF lenses and you can get excellent results. I think it is true with the 300D, you do not need to get pro level FX glass and still get good results.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
RJ,

You do not need pro level glass like L lenses with the 5DMKII to get great photo. You can get some good EF lenses and you can get excellent results. I think it is true with the 300D, you do not need to get pro level FX glass and still get good results.
Maybe not pro level, but you need better than consumer. I'm not shooting pro level glass, but I do have constant aperture sigma lenses which are a step above consumer. I didn't get as good results with the basic kit lenses when I stepped up. The kit lenses were fine with the D80, but their issues were magnified and quite apparent with a higher resolution body. I would assume the same is true with Canon gear, especially with a full frame, high resolution body like the 5d mk2. If you're not happy with results on a consumer body with a consumer lens, things won't get any better by upgrading the body and using the same lens.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:06 PM   #9

Well with the canon EF lens, there are couple of levels. With the primes like the ef 28 .8, ef 50 1.4, ef 85 1.8, ef 100 2.0 and ef 100 2.8 macro with primes, and the ef 28-135 and ef 70-300 will work nicely on the 5d also. The will work great on a FF body like the 5DMKII, and they are not L series. I have seen first hand results with these lenses on the 5D. And pretty much all these lens are less then 600 dollar, some in the low 300's
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:07 PM   #10
Dig

Here are two photos taken with Nikon D80 and Canon S2. Please tell me that you see a $1000 difference between the two. The only thing I did was resize.
Attached Images