Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2003, 1:07 AM   #1

Default D100 and lenses getting R&R

Well, not exactly, but I dropped off my D100, 28-70 and 70-200 lenses at Nikon (Melville, NY) for a check-up and cleaning. The D100 had a blue pixel showing up on all images with ISO 1600, always in the same spot, even on very short exposures. The "Enter" button had an intermitant problem, sometimes working perfectly, other times refusing to work. The 28-70 had a dead mite stuck inside! :shock: I don't know how it got in there, but it was so miniscule that it never affected any of my images. I just want the lens cleaned Should be another 4-7 days to get my equipment back, in the mean time I will have to shoot film with my 50mm f/1.8 and my old lenses. I will post an update once I get everything back
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:38 AM   #2

Alberto,

How do you get on with ISO 1600 on the D100 ? I've never tried pushing past 400 on a regular basis....

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:06 PM   #3

When I can use a flash to light the subject it's fine. When using ISO 1600 in available light it's a bit noisy but not objectionable imo. Beyond 1600 then it gets hard to clean up if necessary. See these samples of ISO 1600, 3200 and 6400 with flash:

Not too bad on the noise department.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:14 AM   #4

That last one is about what I would expect, but the first two look very good indeed. And this out of a camera that is how old?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 8:05 PM   #5

With good lighting high ISO isn't so bad on our dSLR's. Of course good lighting isn't always possible :P In case you were wondering how long I've had the D100, I've had it since February of this year
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:42 PM   #6

Hmm. So at least 800 shouldn't be too much of a problem in daylight. Must try that out.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 3:52 PM   #7

It just amazes me how well the D100 stands up, even though its at least a year 1/2 old. Probably more (Steve reviewed it on 7/28/2002.)

I hadn't really thought about how noise might be light dependent. I always use it when the light is low, so I never thought about it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 4:37 PM   #8

Alberto if you don't mind me asking about what did Nikon Charge you for the cleanings. Thanks
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 7:21 PM   #9

Since I live nearby Nikon in Melville, NY, I get sensor cleanings for free in about 5-10 minutes. As for this instance, it's all covered under warranty, so no payment required

Eric, I've discovered that fact when shooting couples at dusk, in South Street Seaport in NYC. By mistake I forgot to turn off the flash when trying to get a no-flash shot, and the result was quite good. So I started using the high ISO's when I need to get a sequence of 3-4 shots indoors with flash. During a bouquet throw I set the D100 to ISO 1600, f/4 and 1/80s. Depending on the state of depletion of my batteries, I can get 4 in a sequence, or usually 3.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 6:41 PM   #10

Default UPDATE! ;)

Got all my equipment back, and Nikon even fixed a little booboo on my 28-70 AF-S (the acrylic window on the lens was cracked during an accident). Everything is working properly and cleaned up. It couldn't have been a better timing because I have a wedding and a photoshoot this wekend Kudos to Nikon for a speedy turnaround!