Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:58 PM   #1

Default D40 Battery grip, Which one?

I am looking to invest in a battery grip for my d40, to balance it out, and just for battery life so I can go longer between charging. Which would be the best one to get for a reasonable price?
scarface199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2010, 7:31 PM   #2

I guess this is a tough subject haha! I will try to do some research on my own.
Old May 2, 2010, 8:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface199 View Post
I guess this is a tough subject haha! I will try to do some research on my own.
As you know, there are only 3rd party grips for the d40 as Nikon does not release grips for consumer entry level bodies. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want a grip on a D40...I have a D5k as a second body, and putting a grip on it would defeat its purpose...small, light carry everywhere. As for battery life, whether you have the second battery in a grip or in your pocket, you'll still get the same number of shots, and have to do the same amount of charging (grips don't extend battery life)so battery life isn't a real factor. You would get the advantage of a portrait release, but usually these work inconsistently with these types of grips on cameras not designed for grips (if it's available at all). They usually work via infrared, which means you have to change the camera mode which will require changing back when not using the portrait release....not terribly convenient, and it slows down your shooting (a grip should speed up your shooting). You also won't be able to use the half press focus mode when using the grip, again slowing you down. Really if you need better balance, or the ability to use a portrait release, or just a bigger grip in general, you probably shouldn't be shooting with a d40.

So if you really still want one, the one made by Targus has gotten decent reviews.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 8:49 PM   #4

You make alot of valid points. I thought it would have extended battery life without having to change battery's, thanks for the response, Gave me a lot to think about!
Old May 2, 2010, 9:06 PM   #5

I only just today came across this distributer when i was looking for something else. And they have a retail outlet here in Toronto (Mississauga actually). I don't know anything about their products so I'm just saying:
http://www.phottix.com/battery-pack/...p-d40-d60.html
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:32 AM   #6

Quote:
You make alot of valid points. I thought it would have extended battery life without having to change battery's, thanks for the response, Gave me a lot to think about!
How many times have you been out shooting and been forced to change batteries (specifically when starting with a fully charged battery)?? The battery life on the D40 is pretty good, and good for hundreds of shots so for the most part the battery should be able to handle a full days worth of shooting pretty easily.

I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you from getting a grip. I have a grip for my D300, but only use it for paid gigs when I'm going to be in portrait orientation most of the time. It's just that one of the best features of the consumer level bodies is their small size and weight, and a grip just destroys that advantage. Couple that with poor functionality (the cams weren't designed to be used with a grip,so you don't get a lot of the advantages a grip offers), and sometimes poor fit and finish of the grips (designed by 3rd party, not Nikon), I just don't see any compelling reason to get a grip for the D40, 40x,60, 5k.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:47 AM   #7

Yeah, I think just a second battery is in order instead of a grip, all the reviews I am reading on the ones out there are not impressive to say the least. Loose fitting, inferred remote for the shutter release, I already have a wireless remote for the camera so I do not need that haha! Thanks for the info on all of this. Saved me some money
Old May 3, 2010, 9:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Yeah, I think just a second battery is in order instead of a grip, all the reviews I am reading on the ones out there are not impressive to say the least. Loose fitting, inferred remote for the shutter release, I already have a wireless remote for the camera so I do not need that haha! Thanks for the info on all of this. Saved me some money
a second battery should be one of the first accessory purchases you make when buying a camera.

Honestly, I think a grip is one of the most overrated accessories out there. Unless you do a lot of portrait oriented work, where the second shutter release is very useful, or you're looking for the extra speed (some grips give an extra frame or 2 per second), I don't see the value. It adds a ton of weight, making it very heavy and awkward to carry around. Any lens that it would help "balance" probably shouldn't be used hand held anyway...a tripod is a much better choice.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:43 PM   #9

+1 to the second battery. Without using a flash, I can easily take 800+ photos without the battery loosing one of it's three bars on my D40. I took 585 on Sunday and my indicator still shows full....
NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:33 PM   #10

I am a little conflicted about this. On one hand, I put an MB-D80 grip on my D90, and haven't taken it off since I bought it. I like the portrait shutter release, and I actually like the added weight and bulk. On the other hand, I can't imagine screwing up my D40 or D40x with a grip, and I didn't even realize that the functionality is somewhat, umm, compromised with the aftermarket grips. I like that they are tiny little cameras and want to keep them that way.
F100, N50, 24f/2.8D, 85f/1.8D, 135f/2 DC D, 28-105D, 35-80D, 70-210D,
KDKarlson is offline   Reply With Quote