Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 4, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1
BDD

Default Prediction for the D700 replacement

I think it's very possible that it may include the ability to rec 1080p video clips like the Canon 5D Mark II. I was flipping through an issue of Shutterbug where it was mentioned that the Nikon P100 P&S can do 1080p. I think the magazine also said it's the first Nikon P&S to offer this. So if the P100 P&S has it...hopefully the replacement for the D700. In addition to being based on the D3s (200-12,800 useable ISO) and not the D3x (resolution).

Now will we have to wait till the end of August to see what Nikon will do to fill the gap between the new D300s and the new D3s.

Last edited by BDD; May 4, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2010, 1:27 PM   #2

i think they are going to release a d700 s, with 1080i video at 30 fps, i dont think they are going to work on iso much, and going to keep it under 16 mp. I think they will focus on the D4 with the intent of a higher iso range and mp count, but i doubt they will go anything over 20 with it.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:27 PM   #3

Nikon uses Sony image sensors. The D700 replacement will probably use the same 24MP image sensor that's in the current D3x.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 7:11 AM   #4
BDD

If Nikon bases the replacement for the D700 on a D3x...opting to stress resolution over high ISO shootability...I'm jumping ship for my first FF body. Canon 5D Mark II and the huge variety of quality Canon glass.

I doubt Nikon will put out a 1080i DSLR. No manufacturer has put out a non-progressive scan camera. It's been either a 720p or 1080p. And since Nikon has already implemented a 1080p P&S in the P100...goes to reason...

I've been very happy with Nikon. I've always owned nothing but Nikon's (1 Sony P&S) from my first SLR a Nikon FE, Nikkormat...etc..to my D300. But I do think Canon has a better line up of quality lenses. More selection.

If only Nikon would "leak" some information about the D700 replacement already. HEH!

Last edited by BDD; May 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM.
Old May 5, 2010, 7:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
If Nikon bases the replacement for the D700 on a D3x...opting to stress resolution over high ISO shootability...I'm jumping ship for my first FF body.
I don't think it's an 'either or' situation. The current D700 supports ISOs up to 25,600 (however much of a stretch that might be), I don't think that, as they increase resolution, they would necessarily have to decrease ISO.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 10:43 AM   #6

I don't think you'll see the D700 follow the D3x. Nikon is not like Canon. The D700 is also a highly regarded sports camera as it has the focus system and frame (8fps with battery pack which most sports shooters use) rate to do the job (whereas Canon's 5dII is not designed as a sports camera).

I expect the D700 to follow the D3s path instead. It will continue to be a high dynamic range, high ISO camera that is also capable of sports shooting.

Also of note - Nikon no longer uses Sony sensors in it's high end DSLRs. D700, D3, D3s, D3x are all sensors of their own making.

Nikon has indicated they understand some of the concern that 12mp isn't enough. They'll bump up the MP as long as they can keep FPS at 8. I don't know if they could do that with 24mp full frame - that's a lot of data
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Administrator

The D3x uses a full frame Sony 24MP CMOS Sensor.

Nikon has a hole in the lineup there (since they have a lower cost D700 model with the same 12MP sensor and image processing engine as the D3, but they don't offer a lower cost model using a higher resolution 24MP sensor like the D3x has it in).

Their full frame 12MP Models (D3, D3s, D700) use Nikon designed 12MP full frame sensors. It would probably make sense to have a new D700 style body there (an upgrade to the D700 like the upgrade from the D3 to D3s). We'll have to wait and see what they decide to do.

But, I'd think they'd want to come out with a lower cost version of the D3x, too (using a D700 style body with the same higher resolution sensor the D3x has in it), for photographers wanting higher resolution output without some of higher end D3x body features.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 3:23 PM   #8
BDD

When did Nikon stop using Sony sensors for their "made in Japan" DSLRs? (e.g. D700 and D3 bodies). I know Nikon was using the Sony 24MP FF sensor for the D3x. At least in the beginning.

If Nikon opts to base the replacement on the D3s (and offers 1080p video recording) I'm staying with Nikon. Would like to buy a FF DSLR with a compact body (e.g. D700). I really don't want to have to buy a D3s as I'm just an enthusiast and would dread having to lug around the added weight of a D3 body (plus the weight of any of the Nano Crystal lenses I would definitely be picking up). If I truly needed the pro features to make a living...had no choice...then different story. And of course I would also dread having to spend $5500.00 CAD for a FF camera.

And as for the D700's "useable ISO" I think that tops out at 6400. Not a bad camera at all. And is being sold for a good price up here in Toronto at $300.00 (CAD) less than the Canon 5D Mark II. Body only.

Last edited by BDD; May 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM.
Old May 5, 2010, 3:32 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
One, when did Nikon stop using Sony sensors for their "made in Japan" DSLRs? (e.g. D700 and D3 bodies).
Those bodies (D3, D3s, D700) never did use Sony sensors. They use Nikon designed, full frame, 12MP CMOS Sensors. All other current Nikon bodies (both APS-C and the D3x full frame model) use Sony sensors.

Quote:
I know Nikon was using the Sony 24MP FF sensor for the D3x. At least in the beginning.
Right. The D3x uses a Sony 24MP CMOS sensor.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 11:15 PM   #10
BDD

JimC,

Thought so (about the D3x). Though, I assumed that because the D3x used the same sony sensor as the Sony A900 that the other D3's and D700 would use Sony sensors too. Good to know they don't. And that the guys at Nikon are able to develop and produce their own.

Any how, as I said, I hope Nikon "leaks" some details on the replacement for the D700 soon. Not that I need a FF body now. Just a little eager to know what Nikon has up their sleeves.

Last edited by BDD; May 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM.