Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 8, 2010, 12:43 AM   #1

Default D5000

My 18mm-200mm lens creates a shadow when I use the built in flash. Focal length is in the minimum of 18mm. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
rancelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2010, 12:58 AM   #2

slower shutter speed
Old May 8, 2010, 4:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancelb View Post
My 18mm-200mm lens creates a shadow when I use the built in flash. Focal length is in the minimum of 18mm. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Hi, sorry to say that there is little that can be done in this situation as the physical size of the lens is the problem and the height of the flash above the lens isn't enough to avoid seeing the shadow cast. Using an external flash is about the only way to get around this if you have to use flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
slower shutter speed
Huh?
Old May 8, 2010, 2:18 PM   #4

Oh my bad

i read it as he had a shadow because his shutter was too fast for the flash, not the lens actually creating a shadow.

they have flash brackets on ebay that move the flash off to the side of the camera allowing the lens to not be an issue.

jeff
Old May 8, 2010, 3:20 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Oh my bad

i read it as he had a shadow because his shutter was too fast for the flash, not the lens actually creating a shadow.

they have flash brackets on ebay that move the flash off to the side of the camera allowing the lens to not be an issue.

jeff
Lol, someone still isn't reading properly, it's the built in flash
Old May 9, 2010, 9:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Lol, someone still isn't reading properly, it's the built in flash
Not much you can do except zoom in tighter and then physically back up to try to maintain the same perspective. Larger, wide angle lenses will have this problem with the internal flash. Using one of the external flashes (SB-400, SB-600,SB-900) will eliminate this problem, as they provide coverage down to a focal length of 14 or 15mm
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
... Using one of the external flashes (SB-400, SB-600,SB-900) will eliminate this problem, ...
So will using available light, though the 18-200 is probably not the best lens to try that with.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 8:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
So will using available light, though the 18-200 is probably not the best lens to try that with.

Either way it looks like the poster will need to make a purchase. I'd argue getting a flash would give him more flexibility with his current setup and be cheaper. To do available light stuff would require faster, more expensive lenses. The sb-600 or Sb-400 can be picked up for under $200. Aside from the 50 f1.8, any lens upgrade will be more than $300 and not offer the same focal range.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote