Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 10, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1

Default D5000 - Camera Setting Help

Been a while since I posted here. Upgraded my equipment since the last time I was here and now I need some help. There will be a party coming up soon and I haven't worked out my camera yet so I'm not sure what it is capable of. I bought one of the Nikon D5000 kits. (This one to be exact:http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-...544932&sr=8-19)

As well as a
Nikon 55-200mm lens and a Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight Flash.

The setting is a club party at a rented hall. The theme of the party is Glow in the Dark. All the lights will be off. The only color in the hall will be various Glow Sticks and Bands.

What would be the ideal setting for this occasion? I'm not sure if I even need the speed light because I don't want the flash to be too strong and the pictures come out too "white". Like I said before, haven't had time to work with the camera. I'm assuming the speedlight would help since I will be snapping a great deal amount of pictures in short periods of time.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated. I know when I asked for help, one of the suggestions was to go and play around with it myself, however, there isn't really a hall I can just go into that has 200 people dancing around.

Please and Thanks.

-Piotr
piotrmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2010, 11:34 PM   #2

Without a flash you will not get any good shots with the lens setup. And there really is no inexpensive prime that you can use with the d5000 that will let you get some shots. Also the d5000 will not be able to get a AF lock on any subject in that kind of lighting condition. With the lights off, indoors with just mood lighting, not to many camera will work well. You are talking about shutter speed of 1/4 or longer, so any motion will be blurry at best. I doubt even with a 50mm 1.4 will it allow you to get any good shots if you can get a AF lock. You may be able to get a set shot, aka posed shot if your subject is not moving long enough. But that is all you can really hope for without a flash.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 7:08 AM   #3

You won't get much success when shooting with just the light available from Glow Sticks. But to preserve the theme, I think I'd try to shoot with a large aperture lens and a bounced flash with a diffuser and the flash output scaled way back. I'd get some practice in, if at all possible, at the actual venue where the event will be held, and bring the glow sticks. With the D5000, in those conditions, and trying to preserve the theme, you should get the Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but keep in mind that, with large apertures in dim light, the shallow depth of field will be a problem.

Shoot in RAW. You won't have an oppportunity to reshoot, and in those conditions, you want to leave with something that gives you the best chance of having something presentable, and JPEG doesn't give you as many options.

You should probably get a lot of shooting in early. Early in the evening, they'll probably be using the glow sticks like they were water, but as time goes by, the glow sticks might get hard to come by, and so will your opportunities to photograph something.

Good luck.

And come back and post some of the shots you took, if you can.

Last edited by TCav; May 11, 2010 at 9:39 AM. Reason: added the thing about the diffuser.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:08 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I would also recommend trying some "slow-sync" flash, or trailing curtain flash where you can expose for the ambient light first and then use a weak flash to light the subject. The slow sync flash will freeze the subject first and then keep the shutter open to capture the glow sticks in the dark. On the other hand, the trailing sync flash setting will allow you to expose the glow sticks first and then freeze the subject just before the shutter closes. Both techniques will produce some different but interesting results.

Also, use as high an ISO as you can tolerate. If you are planning to print out 4 x 6 images, often noise that appears on a video monitor does not always show on prints. I think an ISO of up to 1600 may be workable. At worst you can remove the noise in post - processing.

Good luck...and let us know how it turned out.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 5:30 PM   #5

Well I've just been informed that the light setting will be as if it was at a regular club. There will be some sort of lighting. The host of the party thought it over and figured glow sticks are not enough to help people see around.

@shoturtle: I was able to take a trip with a few friends who are "hosting" the party and we set the lights up and I had them throw on a few glow sticks and I had no problem getting an AF lock on them. Left the camera on Auto and pictures were coming out perfectly fine to my surprise.

@jelpee: Pictures won't be printed. Will be uploaded to a networking site, most likely facebook.

Now another situation. There will be an outdoor Track Meet either on Thursday or Friday. Some athletes at my school have asked for me to come take pictures in exchange for money. I'll be within feet of the track so getting close isn't a problem. I'll be able to go out onto the track before hand so I can test various settings. I rather get an opinion from experienced photographers.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:39 PM   #6

That is good with club lighting instead of no light just glow sticks, then it will be normal club shooting. A fast prime would work well to capture the glow sticks.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:44 PM   #7

If you can get close, your Nikon 55-200 should be good. You want to get fast shutter speeds to freeze the motion, and the Sun should be behind you, or as close to behind you as you can manage, so the subjects will be well illuminated.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:44 PM   #8

I'm not gonna lie. I just recently got into photography. Received a handy me down Sony DSC F828 in January which I didn't use much because it wasn't able to work in settings where I went to take pictures (i.e. Basketball games, etc.). Then I got the D5000 as a birthday gift (well I bought it myself with birthday money).

Can you direct me to any websites where I can learn about aperture, shutter speed, etc.

Last edited by piotrmir; May 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:54 PM   #9

steve's knowledge center has some good reads on the subject.

For video, www.dslrtips.com have youtube video for dslr shooting. And youtube actually have allot of info on photography. Some members actually post instruction video on youtube.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 7:09 PM   #10

Check out http://nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/index.page