Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:14 AM   #1

Default D70 doesn't recognize CF card

My D70 does not recognize my CF cards. With a card in and a folder selected, my screen displays ""File does not contain image data". With another card inserted, I'm asked to format card. I do so and take a photo but I receive the same message as before. the first card does contain images, as seen on my PC.
Latest firmware update is A 2.0, B 2.0, as displayed on screen. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
dan8238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:17 AM   #2
Administrator

Same problem, more than one card, and they were working fine up until now, right? Were you using the camera's menu choice for format to format them (versus using a PC)?

I'd check the bottom of the camera's card slot and make sure you don't have any bent pins as a first step if the answer to those questions is yes.

Did you see any errors when you formatted them?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:29 AM   #3

Yes, camera worked last Tuesday nite.

Card was formatted in the camera using menu.

All pins appear to be OK.

Note that I didn't remove the card from the camera after using last Thursday. I only created a new folder.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:35 AM   #4

I don't believe it but after working on this last night and this AM, the camera now works with the problem cards. All I did just now was to rotate the mode selector knob from Auto to P and back again, and that did it. Possible the knob was not in the set position. sorry for the bother!
Dan
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:42 AM   #5

Sometimes, if the Mode Dial isn't exactly in the right place, weird things will happen. And sometimes, when the temperature and/or humidity changes, a camera's settings can get screwed up. Often changing something simple clears up everything.

This happens with computers, and especially USB devices, too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:48 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8238 View Post
I don't believe it but after working on this last night and this AM, the camera now works with the problem cards. All I did just now was to rotate the mode selector knob from Auto to P and back again, and that did it. Possible the knob was not in the set position. sorry for the bother!
Dan
No bother at all. By the way, welcome to the forums.

Sometimes, voltage issues can cause problems (not enough "juice" writing the card, ending up corrupting one), and if you had some oxidation under contacts, yes, that could have caused an issue. It would be unlikely, but I wouldn't rule that out.

So, using all switches dials and buttons would be a good idea (as the friction from using them could help clean any oxidation from their contacts). Ditto for remounting the lens to help make sure it's making a good connection.

If you've got a different battery, it wouldn't hurt to try one in case it's starting to fail, too (they don't last forever, and the D70 is a rather dated camera model now), as borderline batteries can cause issues.

Your camera also has an outstanding service bulletin, as it did have some issues with it's electronics. The problem is commonly called BGLOD in forums (for "Blinking Green Light of Death"). So, you could be seeing early signs of a pending failure because of this issue.

See this article for details, and note that Nikon was fixing it for free the last time I checked (even though it's out of warranty) if your issue isn't something else and the camera gets worse and exhibits symptoms of this type of failure:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...5-users-3.html

Here's a current page on Nikon's site about it (the link in the news article here is no longer valid):

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-...-Advisory.page
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7

TCav's comment was on the mark. My camera was in my car trunk when I drove from Richmond to Atlanta on Friday (8 Hr. +); it was HOT! In Atlanta it didn't work!
Thanks again!