Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:00 PM   #1

Default Upgrade to D5000/D90 for AF?

I have had my D40 for 3 years and have enjoyed it though I am no expert. Still shoot with A alot and sometimes P.

In April i went on safari in Kenya. I got many great photos and many not so great ones. My main issue is that in my safari van when I saw something to shoot, I would jump up out of the top of the van, camera at ready, depress the shutter to AF and fire, fire, fire. Still I often ended up with the AF not honing in on it's target. No doubt that was sometimes my fault but it got me to wondering whether I might want to upgrade to the D5000 or D90 for their 11 point AF.

Would the 11 point AF have helped me in such a circumstance? i intend to return to Africa.

Dave
davewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:47 PM   #2

D90 has the better AF, the D5000 is not as good.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:55 PM   #3

Nikon D90 and D5000 has the exact same AF specs. The only difference is that the D90 has built in AF motor.

If you want to get even better AF you need to upgrade to the D300/D300s.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:16 PM   #4

The built in motors focus the af lenses quicker the the lower end af-s
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:22 PM   #5

Let's remember that this is also more complicated. Focus problems are going to be caused by:
1) too far away for lens being used
2) too little light or contrast

For large animal wildlife you shouldn't be relying on the number of focus points.

Then there's the matter of the lens focus speed. If you want fast focus at telephoto length you better have a focus motor. Sorry, but if you're that concerned about focus speed - forget non- AF-S (or sigma HSM) lenses. So the lens plays just as much a part in fast focus.

Now - on to the Nikon focus systems. The focus ARRAYS are the same between the two cameras. what is unpublished is the firmware (the brains) behind the two. It's unknown whether they employ the same focusing firmware. Tough to say.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:27 PM   #6

I have tried them both, and actually didnīt notice any particular difference between the two. They both felt the same as far as the AF concerns. But thats me. Maybe somebody else would notice a difference.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
I have tried them both, and actually didnīt notice any particular difference between the two. They both felt the same as far as the AF concerns. But thats me. Maybe somebody else would notice a difference.

Best regards/Daniel
My understanding is that the D5000 and the D90's 11 point systems are the same. And yes I have AF-S lenses. So the question is - is the 11 point system a significant improvement over the D40's 3 point system?
davewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:17 PM   #8

davewe-

You can slightly speed up the D-40's 3 point focus system by selecting center point focusing. I also own the D-90 and the D-5000 and their focus system are indeed the same, that focus system is 20 to 30% faster than the focus system of the D-40, no more.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote