Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Nikon D40 HELP!! Blurry pics & delayed shutter sounds?

Hi Everyone!
I could really use your help right now with my D40. I have gone through my user manual a ton and can't figure out what is going on with my camera. I need to use it this afternoon and am panicking!!

Two days ago I used it and had no issues. In fact, I have not had any issues like this in my 4 years of ownership. But, it did take a ride in my purse the other day and I am concerned a button or switch may have been pushed that could cause these issues?

When I go to take a picture, it's like the camera is super slow to react (battery is fully charged) and when it finally takes the picture it's super cloudy and blurry. I don't know if the flash is going off like it used to? I don't know camera technicalities, but it seems like the shutter speed if super slow. When I push the button to take a picture it make a click and then about 2 seconds or more later it makes a second click and actually takes the picture. There is no focus in the pictures either. The background is clearer than what I was focusing on.

HELP!!! And, thanks in advance.
pugpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Try resetting your custom settings it to factory defaults.

You may have accidently set it to Self Timer mode or something like that:

I'd also remove and remount your lens to make sure it's making a good connection, and make sure the AF/MF switch is in the AF (Autofocus) position.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:51 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your response. It's definitely better now, but still not like it was. It seems to not want to focus even though it is on Auto-Focus etc. If the lighting is really good, like natural or outdoor lighting then it does better.

Anyway...thanks for the tips.
pugpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Administrator

If you have a filter on it, try taking it off.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote