Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
And at the moment when a d2hs pops up it is about the same price as a used d90, so its win win, and i dont want another 90 :P
Or, sometimes even higher for a body in equivalent condition. For example, here's a "Bargain" Condition D2Hs at keh.com for $725 right now (which means it's been banged around a bit and probably has some cosmetic blemishes):

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...990985150?r=FE

Unless you're shooting RAW and using a modern RAW converter (which would be one way to approach it, just shooting RAW and using a modern converter with better NR algorithms), I think you'd get better IQ from the D90 at higher ISO speeds (i.e., indoor sports use) after downsizing images to the same viewing/print sizes; as the D2Hs is now a 5 year old camera (that's mostly an upgrade of an even older model); and image processing has improved a lot since then. You'd also have less room for cropping with the D2Hs.

Yes, the D2Hs body is higher quality, and despite it's age, the AF is probably much better, too. But, I'm not sure I'd spend that much for a body that old with NR algorithms that won't be as good as more modern cameras if higher ISO speed use is a big concern, unless you don't mind shooting RAW.

Of course, if money is no object, just get a D3s. ;-)

That way, you'd have a Pro grade body and AF system, with *much* better high ISO speed performance for low light sports use, as well as a larger viewfinder since it's using a full frame sensor (something you don't get with the D2Hs).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:21 PM   #12

I'd be especially wary of buying a used pro-level digital camera. It's likely been used harder, regardless of cosmetic condition, and a 7+year old DSLR is risky regardless of condition. You'd be giving up a lot in low light shooting, and a lower resolution, smaller LCD screen. If you want to duplicate the feel, you can add a grip to your D90. And it's quite a bit cheaper.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:40 PM   #13
NHL

Why not an old 1DMrkII instead?
More choice and better features... And it would get your feet wet in another system
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:51 PM   #14

It was in the back of my mind, but then id have to get all new lenses..... and everyone is going from canon to nikon these days, why go the other way

and i think i may just keep saving and throw down for a d3...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:08 PM   #15
Administrator

Go for the D3s instead.

It's got better high ISO speed performance compared to the D3 (but, of course, both are much better than your D90) ;-)
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:15 PM   #16

well at the moment, i can find a d3 for around 3,000 used, and i should be able to have that by the end of the summer.... a d3s on the other hand is still fetching 4,000-5,000 used, when you can find them....
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:18 PM   #17

To bad there is no 7D 7fps type camera from nikon with 7fps in the sub 2000 range.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:21 PM   #18
Administrator

The D3 is a pretty decent camera. But, personally, I wouldn't want to lug one around all the time. ;-)
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:27 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
To bad there is no 7D 7fps type camera from nikon with 7fps in the sub 2000 range.
If you mean a fast camera with a smaller APS-C size sensor that does well at higher ISO speeds (although it's limited to ISO 6400) and can shoot at 7fps without the optional battery grip (it's even faster with the grip), it's called the Nikon D300s. ;-)
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:29 PM   #20

I recommended it already, Jeff did not seem to interested. 6/8fps without and with the grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Well i beat the crap out of all my stuff, and ill post a picture of my d90 one day, it has been thoroughly used. I want a new camera so i can use my 90 as a remote camera for sports and have a second body to strap the 70-200 or 300 f4 on. I am leaning towards a full pro body for three main reasons, the body itself, i love the weight and i really feel more comfortable using it to its fullest extent, i prefer the feel of my f5 ten fold over my 90. The AF is blazing fast on pro bodies in all kinds of light, my f5 once again blows my 90 out of the water with its af speeds, and its what 15 years older? think of what a d2 series can compare to. and the speed itself of a d2hs is 8fps compared to 5, in sports all three of theses attributes contribute to shots being made, from the af speed at low light basketball games to shutter speeds at baseball games. so im pretty much set on a d2hs, as i have read many reviews stating people prefer their d2hs's over their d300's having used both, and the ones that have a d2hs say that they will not let go of it for a very long time. And at the moment when a d2hs pops up it is about the same price as a used d90, so its win win, and i dont want another 90 :P

Thats just whats going through my head at the moment....

-Jeff