Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:03 AM   #1

Default Whats after a D90?

I love and adore my 90, but the body on my f5 has spoiled me rotten

I am looking into either a d2hs or a d2x.

I have been doing extensive research and am leaning towards the d2hs.....

I plan on turning my 90 into a remote camera for sports and shooting with the next body and film with the f5....

I really do not plan on printing anything, everything will most likely stay on the computer, so i doubt the MP count of the d2hs will matter much....

any input would be nice...

i really want to pick something up before school starts back up so i can start shooting sports asap and really hit the ground running this year.
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:41 AM   #2

Wow, not that i can afford a d2hs, i cannot find one for the life of me
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:36 AM   #3

D300
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:44 AM   #4

D700
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:52 AM   #5

d700 is nice, but then you open up the need for fx lenses on to take full advantage of the sensor or give up the FF advantage and crop the sensor to use DX lenses. That will increase his LBA. Might be a bad thing or a good thing.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:01 AM   #6

What is it about your D90 that you're not satisfied with?

If you just want to "improve" the feel, could you use something like this or this?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:49 AM   #7

I have had a number of digital cameras, and currently have a D40 and a D90. I am not, and never will be, a professional photographer. Now, don't misunderstand me, I really like the D90. It has a number features that make it much more convenient for me to use. I won't elaborate on that point, but it really does make a difference. As far as image quality is concerned, I don't believe the images are proportionately higher quality based on price difference. There are advantages to having the larger files from the D90, but the D40 takes remarkable images. We had a family reunion a couple of weeks ago and my D40 was handed around to different family members and they all took some very nice photos. If you are purchasing the camera based on the idea of getting "better" images you might be a little disappointed. You are still the photographer. And if you are like me, I discovered that the D90 is very good at taking bigger versions of my same old shooting style.

I guess what I'm saying is to evaluate what it is you are looking for in your new camera. Then decide if the new camera is really needed to provide that outcome. Or, would spending a little more time polishing your skills with your present camera produce the same desired results? The D90 is likely to be updated/replaced shortly, and a lot of people will clamor to get the new version. Not me. I think I have learned my lesson, and I'm going to just stick with what I already have.

Last edited by jphess; Jun 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:52 PM   #8

The D40 can produce really good pictures, no doubt about it. My parents have it and are very pleased with it.
As well as the D90 produces great images in class with the D300/D300s.

The difference with the more expensive cameras comes when you start shooting in more demanding environments, when you start shooting a lot of sports/action and fast moving things.

If that is the case, it will be worth the extra cost with a more expensive camera. The more you can afford the better.
A D5000 will be better than a D40. A D90 will be better than a D5000. A D300/D300s will be better than a D90 etc. But for tourist, family shots the difference may not be worth the extra cost.
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:08 PM   #9

Well i beat the crap out of all my stuff, and ill post a picture of my d90 one day, it has been thoroughly used. I want a new camera so i can use my 90 as a remote camera for sports and have a second body to strap the 70-200 or 300 f4 on. I am leaning towards a full pro body for three main reasons, the body itself, i love the weight and i really feel more comfortable using it to its fullest extent, i prefer the feel of my f5 ten fold over my 90. The AF is blazing fast on pro bodies in all kinds of light, my f5 once again blows my 90 out of the water with its af speeds, and its what 15 years older? think of what a d2 series can compare to. and the speed itself of a d2hs is 8fps compared to 5, in sports all three of theses attributes contribute to shots being made, from the af speed at low light basketball games to shutter speeds at baseball games. so im pretty much set on a d2hs, as i have read many reviews stating people prefer their d2hs's over their d300's having used both, and the ones that have a d2hs say that they will not let go of it for a very long time. And at the moment when a d2hs pops up it is about the same price as a used d90, so its win win, and i dont want another 90 :P

Thats just whats going through my head at the moment....

-Jeff
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:40 AM   #10

So, what is your point? You know what you want, you know why you want it, you know you will get better results from it, you know everything you need to know. Do you need our permission to get it?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote