Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:30 PM   #1

Default D100 vs Slide Film test

Hello everyone!
Please forgive my "newbiness" A friend of mine recently bought a D100 and I am seriously considering one. We went together and shot the same scene, his D100 on fine JPG and my N80 loaded with Sensia 100. I have to say that I was impressed with the detail he achieved, but the color saturation was no where close to my results when scanned at hi-res. The Photo Shop guy explained this by saying that if we had used NEF (32 bit color), then the color saturation would have been very close. Can anyone verify this for me? I do mostly (95%) landscape stuff and I love the vivid blues, etc. that I get with Sensia, Velvia, or Provia....but I would LOVE to go all digital!

Thank you for any help that you can provide!
Steve
StevenS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:39 PM   #2

using RAW, which is what a NEF is, and the nikon conversion utility or ARC or C!, you can adjust the exposure and color saturation while in the utilities and then convert it itto whatever applicable image format you need for further use. actually a NEF should be a 48 bit file i believe then you can downconvert from there to 24 bit jpg or tif or whatever. being that PS CS is now speaking that 48 bit language finally you can work at that level. this of course will use a wee bit more memory.

personally i still feel a good well exposed chrome edges out a D100 still. but that is just an opinion.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:29 PM   #3

An NEF isn't a 48 bit file as it stores a bayer pattern, not a full color bitmap. Each "pixel" has only one color plane, red, blue or green with 12 bits. That's why a NEF file with 12 bits of information is smaller than a TIFF with 8 bits per color plane.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:39 PM   #4

yep you right. i did say should be and your correction is more then welcome. i should have been a bit more careful. here is the same info extended referencing the D1 but NEF has not changed that much. thank god the conversion utilities have though.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop...onversion.html
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote