Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've used them before, but I don't own or have them. You'd have to compare them side by side to check for differences in grip length and width. From what the specs show, the dimensions of the D90 are approx. 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in.); and the D300's dimensions are approximately 147 x 114 x 74mm (5.8 x 4.5 x 2.9 in.); but that may not reflect grip differences. For a significantly larger body, you'd probably need to move up to the D3/D3s/D3x models.

HA HA
have you seen that price tag

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Administrator

But, they're really nice cameras (if you don't mind lugging a larger and heavier camera around). :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:17 PM   #13

Quote:
But, they're really nice cameras (if you don't mind lugging a larger and heavier camera around). :-)

weight could never be an issue, i lug around a tool pan that usually ways around 50 lbs and work on engines that weighs tons. and whole day up and down all kind of heights in the all kinds of weather in the strangest locations, and when i hear some kind of air head complain that a 17-55 lens is way too heavy, sometimes i just want to kick them thru the screen

But as you mentiond it i am worried that the extra 0.4" on the D300 height may not be in relation to the grip height.

what if i take some sifting sand, put the d90 in it about 1/2" deep, to make a mole, and fill it with epoxy resin.

dont know why, i feel i wont be that impressed with the D300s
my daughter wont get it till wednesday and she 's coming home the following monday

Dave
T&T

Last edited by dafiryde; Jun 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Administrator

It should be pretty nice in some other areas (AF, etc.); and you could always get a battery grip for it, too. I don't know about using sand and epoxy resin though. LOL

Personally, I think the D3 series models are nice. But, I wouldn't want to lug one around all the time (especially if if I had a heavier lens on it). I used a D3 with a Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 on it for a while, and even though I really liked the camera, it was a pain lugging it around everywhere I went.

I feel the same way lugging around cameras with heavier lenses on them (70-200mm f/2.8, etc.). Using one at an event is one thing. But, when I carry a camera with me everywhere (as I tend to do), a lighter package is desirable for greater comfort over longer periods of time.

For me, a model the size and weight of my Sony A700 is just about right; with a grip that feels comfortable, without too much weight hanging around my neck all day long, depending on the lens it's wearing (as lugging one around all day long with a 70-200mm f/2.8 on it gets old, too -- especially if you're carrying spare lenses along with it).

If I did ever decide to buy a model like the D3/D3s/D3x, I'd probably find a better way to carry it (something more comfortable than the standard neck strap), especially if I planned on keeping heavier lenses on it.

One solution that seems to be growing in popularity is the Cotton Carrier system. It allows much better weight distribution for cameras and lenses compared to typical neck straps, with the ability to more easily carry more than camera.

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:12 PM   #15

I too am in the mood for an upgrade, and finding the 300s bodies for 949 is compeling. Given the same skill level and lenses can one expect better IQ under the same exact circumstances as the D-90. Does the 300s come with a sprinkle of fairy dust that offers up the justification of purchase over the 90.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:14 PM   #16
Administrator

I don't see fairy dust in the D300s specifications or features list. But, perhaps that will come via a later firmware update. ;-)
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:32 PM   #17

How much did you pay for the D300 Daf?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:39 PM   #18

That was my leanings Jim, perhaps I'll salt away the dough and sit on the fence and wait.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
what lens
i already have a 18-200 for vacation
17-55 and 70-300 for otherwise

Dave
T&T
So many lens, so little time...

10-24 ultrawide
105 macro
to start

and perhaps some additional dedicated primes...35, 50, 300
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:26 PM   #20

Quote:
It should be pretty nice in some other areas (AF, etc.); and you could always get a battery grip for it, too. I don't know about using sand and epoxy resin though. LOL

Personally, I think the D3 series models are nice. But, I wouldn't want to lug one around all the time (especially if if I had a heavier lens on it). I used a D3 with a Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 on it for a while, and even though I really liked the camera, it was a pain lugging it around everywhere I went.

I feel the same way lugging around cameras with heavier lenses on them (70-200mm f/2.8, etc.). Using one at an event is one thing. But, when I carry a camera with me everywhere (as I tend to do), a lighter package is desirable for greater comfort over longer periods of time.

For me, a model the size and weight of my Sony A700 is just about right; with a grip that feels comfortable, without too much weight hanging around my neck all day long, depending on the lens it's wearing (as lugging one around all day long with a 70-200mm f/2.8 on it gets old, too -- especially if you're carrying spare lenses along with it).

If I did ever decide to buy a model like the D3/D3s/D3x, I'd probably find a better way to carry it (something more comfortable than the standard neck strap), especially if I planned on keeping heavier lenses on it.

One solution that seems to be growing in popularity is the Cotton Carrier system. It allows much better weight distribution for cameras and lenses compared to typical neck straps, with the ability to more easily carry more than camera.

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

i hate neck straps with a passion, but i liked the optec pro loop and the black rapid design, so i combined the two, made my own, it cost less than $2.00 and morks like a charm. heavy set up light set up you dont feel a thing

Dave
T&T