Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 25, 2010, 2:41 PM   #1

Default upgrading

i currently have a D90, no problems so far. but i am in a position , that i can get it upgraded to a D300s.
i am a casual photographer, and mostly take pics on vacations when i can get time. family gatherings, when invited. and the normal everyday pic.

the only negative thing about the D90 is that it feels very small in my hand, and feels even more arkward with the 17-55 lens. i added the grip and can hold it better , but with the grip has a strange poking feeling in the palm of my hand. and really just added it so i will have some where to rest my little finger.

i see that the 300s is about a 1/2 " taller, does this mean i would have a place to rest my pinky finger.
is the high iso performance better or the same i:e over 800

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:11 PM   #2

Surprisingly, DxOMark gives the D90 higher marks than the D300s:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...(brand2)/Nikon
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Surprisingly, DxOMark gives the D90 higher marks than the D300s:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...(brand2)/Nikon

By chance does that mean the D90 is better than the D300s

Dave
T&T
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
By chance does that mean the D90 is better than the D300s

Dave
T&T
No, that means that the D90 had a little lower noice according to the DxOMark test. Probably nothing you will see in real life. The D300 is overall a better camera.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
No, that means that the D90 had a little lower noice according to the DxOMark test. Probably nothing you will see in real life. The D300 is overall a better camera.

Best regards/Daniel

Thanks
took the pludge and ordered the D300s
so by next week, the wife and i will be
but then again i would have the
so to balance it off, i got her an I phone g4 , sad part is that i had to pay the full price as i wont be taking any package.

Dave
T&T

Last edited by dafiryde; Jun 27, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:16 AM   #6

save your money and buy a new lens
wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Administrator

Congrats. But, you could have just bought a Battery Grip for the D90, if all you wanted was a slightly bigger body. :-)

BTW, you really want to take those types of tests with a "grain of salt", as most of them don't take retained detail into consideration.

Manufacturers tend to "tune" the raw data to some extent anymore (and I've seen pretty good evidence of Nikon doing that with the D90), and you can have great test results with softer images.

For example, if you look at the D90 review at dpreview.com, they had some comparisons with the D300, with comments indicating that no amount of settings adjustments could get the D90 output to match the D300 output (and they made similar comments for both jpeg and raw files). Yet, the D90 looks better if you go by the dxomark test results (with the D300 testing even lower than the D300s you ordered)

I'd let your eyes be the judge of how one camera works compared to another versus relying on those types of tests alone, as they can be skewed by manipulation of raw data by the cameras.

Both of those cameras are using similar Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors. Chances are, the main differences are with the AA filter and processing of sensor data (and pre-processing of raw data via the A/D conversion process).

In real world use, I doubt you'd see much difference in them (although you might see a tiny bit better per pixel sharpness out of the D300s if you really wanted to "pixel peep" at 100% viewing size, as I doubt IQ degraded with it versus the D300).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson44512 View Post
save your money and buy a new lens

what lens
i already have a 18-200 for vacation
17-55 and 70-300 for otherwise

Dave
T&T
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Congrats. But, you could have just bought a Battery Grip for the D90, if all you wanted was a slightly bigger body. :-)

BTW, you really want to take those types of tests with a "grain of salt", as most of them don't take retained detail into consideration.

Manufacturers tend to "tune" the raw data to some extent anymore (and I've seen pretty good evidence of Nikon doing that with the D90), and you can have great test results with softer images.

For example, if you look at the D90 review at dpreview.com, they had some comparisons with the D300, with comments indicating that no amount of settings adjustments could get the D90 output to match the D300 output (and they made similar comments for both jpeg and raw files). Yet, the D90 looks better if you go by the dxomark test results (with the D300 testing even lower than the D300s you ordered)

I'd let your eyes be the judge of how one camera works compared to another versus relying on those types of tests alone, as they can be skewed by manipulation of raw data by the cameras.

Both of those cameras are using similar Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors. Chances are, the main differences are with the AA filter and processing of sensor data (and pre-processing of raw data via the A/D conversion process).

In real world use, I doubt you'd see much difference in them (although you might see a tiny bit better per pixel sharpness out of the D300s if you really wanted to "pixel peep" at 100% viewing size, as I doubt IQ degraded with it versus the D300).

Nice to hear from you once again Jim.
i did get the grip for the D90 to get the extra height, but the grip is actually bigger in size, than the actual camera grip area , and thus the grip has a strange poking feeling in the palm of my hand.
i main concern in the D300s was
- being bigger i am hoping for more finger room on the grip
- not sure but hoping the 51 point autofocus will be a plus
- 1005 pixel metering as of 420 pixel
- weathersealing , as i burnt all 15 bags and kept the Domke F3x ruggedwear only.

To be honest better image quality was not an option.
I even tried to make a grip out of 5/8" plywood, but who am i fooling, i am a mechanic not a carpenter.
What would be sad is to find out that the grip lenght is the same in the D90/D300. and that's my main concern

Dave
T&T
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Administrator

I've used them before, but I don't own or have them. You'd have to compare them side by side to check for differences in grip length and width. From what the specs show, the dimensions of the D90 are approx. 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in.); and the D300's dimensions are approximately 147 x 114 x 74mm (5.8 x 4.5 x 2.9 in.); but that may not reflect grip differences. For a significantly larger body, you'd probably need to move up to the D3/D3s/D3x models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote