Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:36 PM   #11

Ken Rockwell know what he is doing, that is for sure. He has a very good web site with good information on it.

He also knows how to take really good pictures.

Eric

ps. http://www.kenrockwell.com/
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:45 PM   #12

I'm using the D100 strickly for my kids high school sporting events and I plan to start with the 28-200mm lens. I'm interested in keeping the camera light weight. As time goes on I'm sure I'll add some better lenses, but I think a $2,000 investment is a far as I'm willing to go right now. I'll continue to use my 7i as a backup and travel camera.
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:14 AM   #13

jeff,
i was in the same boat you were in :? ... i had a 7i( i'm giving it to my parents) too and wanted to upgrade so, which camera should i get? my first choice was the D100, and the more time i got to thinking, there was the 10d, 300d and e-1 :shock: . i spent a couple months researching, and i came back to my first choice. there are all great camera's but, the speed(it's really that fast) of the D100 and the AF assist light was what set it apart from the rest. i got my camera 3 weeks ago and i love it! the pics are amazing and i find it pretty easy to use. i had purchased the 18-35 ED lens to siut my need and like of a wide angle, and will eventually get a nice zoom. i got the camera from ritzcamera.com for $1399(talk to gino) and the lens from b&h. enjoy the D100 you wont be disappointed!
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:26 AM   #14

Just as a side note, the AF assist lamp may not work with certain lenses because the light gets blocked by the size of that lens.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeyer
and will eventually get a nice zoom
When you do, have a look at the AF-S 70-200 VR. Lovely lens. Also, the AF 28-105 is a nice lens for general work and it has a very decent macro capabilitity.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:07 AM   #16

thanks check! i was interested in someday getting the 70-200VR zoom...when it comes down a little in price. another all purpose lens that looked interesting is the 24-120 AF-S zoom? what are you thoughts. sorry for the off-subject questions! :roll:
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:38 AM   #17

Regarding a lens for my D100, how about the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6? It has the same f-stop as the Nikon 28-200mm and the camera store told me that it's rated very well. Will this work as well with a Nikon body as a Nikon lens would? Does anyone have any ideas? Also, is there a website that analyzes these different lenses?

By the way, the assistant manager, who shoots sports all of the time, told me I should seriously consider the Olypmus E-1. He said it's faster, shoots 3 fps for 12 shots, has a great 50-200mm lens (which at a 2 times multiplier is 100-400mm f/2.8-3.5!), and has on-the-fly white balancing. I still think the D100 is the way for ME to go, but this sure sounds interesting.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 1:32 PM   #18

Oops, the Tamron 28-300mm goes to f/6.3 at full telephoto NOT f/5.6. So would I be better off with the Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6?
Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:38 PM   #19

FINAL DECISION--I'm going to wait for a few months and see if Nikon comes out with a new model. If lacrosse season comes around and there's nothing new, I'm buying the D100 with a Nikon 28-200mm lens.

I want to thank all of you for your input. This is a major part of the research I do when making a purchase of this nature and all of your comments have been invaluable. :!: :!: :!:

Thanks again, and happy holidays to all.

Jeff
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:12 PM   #20

Nikon (and everyone else) will *always* be coming out with a new model. It's like computers - anything you get is replaced soon after with something newer...

...but the big question is whether or not it does what you want it to do. D100 does everything very well, feels comfortable in your hand, and produces excellent results. It's also very reasonably priced right now.

My thoughts are that if an existing camera does everything you could possibly want to do with it, why wait for something "better". The something "better" may have features you don't really need, and it's certain to cost more. If you can buy a D100 for $1400 to $1500, and it does everything you want it to do, and it feels good in your hands, why wait for something newer that will probably cost over $2000 again?
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote