Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2003, 2:14 PM   #21

That is EXACTLY the 'other half' of the argument I've had in my mind. I get a little crazed when I go into my research and analysis phase, so my practice has become that I make myself wait for 2 weeks and see how I feel. Often I find that I'm much less emotional and really don't need to make the purchase. Also, I really don't need the camera until March, so waiting doesn't hurt. This is the camera I'll buy if nothing else comes along, and even if it does, if it's too expensive or I don't like it... the D100 will be mine!!!

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 7:22 PM   #22

I try to do things very much as you describe - think on something for a couple of weeks before acting. With my purchase of the D2h, I thought about it for several weeks, first being sure I would get it, and then later deciding that the D100 would probably do just about everything I wanted/needed to do.

I spent a long time on the phone with my brother, considering the difference between "wanted" and "needed". For an honest answer, "wanted" was more applicable than "needed".

At the time I called B&H to ask how soon the camera might be available, I was real close to deciding on the D100.... but B&H told me the D2 had just been made available that very weekend. Knowing I'd be way up on the waiting list if I acted then, I ordered it. I then had two months to change my mind, but didn't.

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to do just about everything I wanted to with the D100. The other choices (used D1 something, or the Fuji) faded into the distance when I held the D100 in my hands and got to play with it a little. The fact that it's "plastic" instead of "metal" is a real plus to me - it's all that much lighter. It felt great in my hands.

........if I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking that if I wanted to be using it in March, I would certainly want to have it at least a month, preferably two, before that time, to get real familiar with it. So, if you don't think the price is going to drop a lot between now and when you're going to buy it, and if you can afford it, maybe the sooner you get it the better, especially with the holidays coming up.

I know to many of the people here, these are just tools to get a job done, and done well, but they're also some fantastic "toys" to do very enjoyable things with. :-) (Don't tell anyone I just said that.....)
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 8:19 PM   #23

Default D100 is on the way......

I have had a DiMage 7i since July of 2002. I have been tossing around the idea of the D100 as well. My father-in-law has one and says it was the best decision he made. I took the plunge on Sat. I bought mine from Ritz as well. I got it for 1389.00 plus 2nd day air charges. You know what is like when you buy something? You got to have right then. :lol: Well I have 2 lenses to use for now. A 28-80 G lens and a 70-210 ED lens. I have sold my Dimage 7i for 500.00 in hopes to get a better or longer tele lens. I also want sell my 70-210 and the 28-80 to get a Flash and a wide angle lens. Any thoughts on a Flash, Wide angle to mid lens and tele lenses.

Thanks,
D

http://www.pickashot.com My Gallery Site, Come join us.
DWalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 6:06 PM   #24

Is the soon to be released D70 (spring 2004) supposed to be the replacement for the D100 or just the answer to Canon's Dig Reb?

If it is the replacement its MSRP is $999 w/o lens.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:03 PM   #25

DWalley, before you go after a longer tele lens, remember that 210 lens you've got now will in effect become 210 x 1.5. It might be plent long enough then.

For the flash, I've got two SB-24 flash units I'm now trying to sell, but I think you'll want to buy one of the newer Nikon units that will work with the 'ttl' functions of the camera. For me, that meant buying the SB-800, but maybe a different unit would be better for the D100.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:27 PM   #26

I do like my 210 lens and would hate to part with it just yet. I really need a better wide angle and a better flash. I tried my father in laws SB-50 DX this weekend. It worked OK but I had to bump up the Flash to a full F-Stop I think. It is kinda weak. I really cant afford an SB-80 DX just yet. I might get the SB-50 DX for a while.
DWalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 5:08 PM   #27

I also am looking for my first Digital SLR camera. In looking at the 10D versus the d100 i noticed that the D100 only goes down to ISO 200 compared to ISO 100 for the 10D. Am I going to notice a differance in the photo's ?
rbhayes is offline   Reply With Quote